ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Nasty NTFS issue ? [Solved !]

<< < (3/6) > >>

yksyks:
Recently I stumbled upon a couple of discussions about similar strange problems, and they suggested to perform thorough tests on rootkits. Also fixing MBR might help.

An easy step could be reinstalling the MS Office. If it keeps crashing then some rootkit or serious system damage is likely the cause.

MerleOne:

That shouldn't happen, about the only software I've had affected by a Repair install is Windows itself, (all updates are lost), possibly virtual network drivers will no longer work, (eg. OpenVPN), and AV software will no longer work.  Any time I've done it all my other software has kept working fine unless it specifically relied upon an update later than the install disc.

But I always do a full disk image before attempting the Repair install.

Safe mode will help rule out any driver/program conflict problems.
-4wd (January 13, 2012, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, I can always try that with a good image backup dine before.

MerleOne:
Considering the possibility that you could have a sector that is iffy, but not bad enough to send up a flag. Have you tried running chkdsk with the /R  switch?

Sometimes when multiple unrelated applications fail it's because the one thing they do share is a bad spot on the drive.

Just a Thought,

Stoic Joker
-Stoic Joker (January 13, 2012, 06:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, it is something to consider.  But HDD Regen found no bad sector.  Slow sectors were not monitored because I was using it within Windows.  I can always try to boot from the recovery media, there I will see if there are some "half-bad" sectors.  Thanks for the suggestion.

MerleOne:
Recently I stumbled upon a couple of discussions about similar strange problems, and they suggested to perform thorough tests on rootkits. Also fixing MBR might help.

An easy step could be reinstalling the MS Office. If it keeps crashing then some rootkit or serious system damage is likely the cause.
-yksyks (January 14, 2012, 12:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks.  Any tool recommended for checking rootkits (this PC already runs McAfee Corporate V8, with some strict policies) ?  I already tried Hitman Pro (before chkdsk, while the system was ok).

Shades:
Get MHDD, burn it to CD/DVD and boot from it. After boot, select the correct hard disk, hit F4 a few times to start a very thorough check on the state of the selected disc.

It is not a nice tool to look at (DOS look) and the information shown might even be too daunting, but it is very powerful. Depending on the size it can take its time, but you will have a very clear picture on the state of the HD (amount of good sectors, amount of slow sectors, amount of too slow sectors and (types of) error(s)).

The software offers options to fix slow sectors and remap bad ones (but not both at the same time). And these options will destroy all content that is on the disk, so make a backup of the complete system first, if you are inclined to use these options.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version