ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Nasty NTFS issue ? [Solved !]

(1/6) > >>

MerleOne:
Hi,

I am having a nasty issue on my OS drive (C:, XP Pro).  I realized a month ago that even if chkdsk (in read mode) is not finding any serious issue, at boot time, it renders my XP unstable.  The issue seems present for quite some time, because it is present "within" all recent image backups I made with different tools (AIP Free, drive snapshot, R-Drive, etc.). And older backups cannot be restored because some important changes have been made since them I cannot lose.

I have tried the following (among many other experiments) : clone my OS partition to an external drive using a regular cloning tool (HDCLone), perform a chkdsk /f on the destination, then clone back the partition.  At first boot all was fine, then I asked for a chkdsk at boot time, and my OS was "cooked" again.  The drive is surface error-free AFAIK (HDCLone would probably have reported any wrong sector).

Currently, all is working fine, unless a chkdsk is launched at boot time.

Any hint on how to solve this.  I am considering cloning in file mode, if I can manage that, because I suspect the NTFS metadata are somehow damaged.

Any help appreciated !  Thanks.

eleman:
Try changing the sata port and the sata cable.

This is the easiest and cheapest step of diagnostics for your problem.

worstje:
Other than 'at boot time, it renders my XP unstable', you don't explain anything about your problem, so how are we supposed to know how to help you? Please supply some extra information. :)

Does 'unstable' mean 'crashes'? Does it mean 'hangs for ages'? What sort of success rate? How about safe mode? Are all your drivers upgraded? Have you tried a tool, like for example HDtune? Etc.

Innuendo:
Define 'unstable', please. You might have something as simple as a misbehaving driver or corrupt OS file somewhere.

hpearce:
does the chkdsk at boot seem to do anything .... usually it write some messages to the screen while running.

Perhaps a windows repair from CD might correct whatever chkdsk changed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version