topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Bits - Ultra Recall  (Read 27069 times)

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bits - Ultra Recall
« on: January 13, 2012, 06:18 AM »
Soon, 61% discount, at www.bitsdujour.com

Enjoy! :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bits - Ultra Recall
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 06:24 AM »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 10:06 AM »
Does anyone know how Ultra Recall compares with Surfulater?  Does one program have any advantages or disadvantages over the other?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 11:00 AM »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 03:19 PM »
Thanks, Curt.  I already had read Neville's blog.  That's probably the only reason I had any interest at all in Ultra Recall, because I've been delighted with Surfulater.  It's one of my favorite programs, and, apparently unlike Ultra Recall, it has had a number of updates in the past year or so.  I'm curious, apprehensive, and excited about the direction in which Neville is moving.  However, I'm also interested in knowing whether Ultra Recall offers anything important that Surfulater does not.  I'm not interested enough (and don't really have time enough) to download UR and try to figure this out for myself, but I thought it might be interesting to see what others on DC might be able to tell me. 

Bionic71

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 03:58 PM »
Why not try Ultra Recall for yourself? .. Buy what you feel comfortable using.

Ultra Recall has updates, I know kyle aren't posting @forum each & every update.
I have a bunch of PIM but I must say Ultra Recall is the one that I use.
It works great & I do feel comfortable storing all sorts of data in it.

We can study past hence I do track Kinooks binaries using Website-Watcher.
Here's a printout what I've downloaded so far since release of v4.. (I probably missed a few..)

-------

Ultra Recall Professional  :up:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 06:48 PM »
@app103; I assume that you have upgraded from the version you won five years ago, so you probably already have so many features that I guess only the $99 expensive Ultra Recall "Professional" may have your interest. I don't know if that will be discounted, like the Standard will, but the Pro version is really handling an impressive number of file types:

http://www.kinook.co...Recall/editions.html

I haven't tried either of the two programs for the last 3 years, so my experience is outdated.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 01:00 AM »

I've been using Ultra Recall Professional since I purchased it with a discount back in June 2008. First, I must say that it is not a program that you just download, fire it up and start using it like a pro. At least not me anyway! It is a fairly complex program and while the Help file is very detailed and extensive, it is also written as if for programmer types. By that I mean that after reading it all the way through - and that was a heck of a long read! - I was so damn lost I thought I might just close Ultra Recall and never open it again. OK, maybe not quite that bad, but I was pretty confused. The forum is an OK source of info, at least from a few experienced members, though there were some who seemed, well, a bit "elitist", if you can understand what I mean by that. I remember one such ass... err... forum member... actually posting that Ultra Recall required a higher IQ than many of the new users posting stup..., uhh, let's say very "beginner"-type questions in the forum. All in all, though, there were also some members there who were very helpful to me personally, plus reading back through older threads also helped me a lot.

All in all Ultra Recall has been one of my most used programs, as I store all my important documents in it. I can search for any document within Ultra Recall and usually find it faster than otherwise. Of course I only use the documents stored in UR for reference; if I need to revise and resend anything I will still use the original document in its native app. My copies of documents in UR is primarily for organization.

Jim

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 09:36 AM »
@Curt - Thanks very much for the link to the list of features of the various versions.  As far as I can tell, Ultra Recall doesn't offer me anything I really need that I don't already get with Surfulater.  And since I've got a zillion items already stored and immediately findable in Surfulater, I guess I'll stick with that and see what Neville comes up with next.  Though, with a not-very-successfully-recovering software junkie like me, one never knows.  :)

@Bionic71 - I think what I've just said above (to Curt) probably explains why I don't just download Ultra Recall and try it out.  If I were trying to decide which of the two programs to buy, I would probably do what you suggest, but since I already am happily using Surfulater, I would only try out Ultra Recall if it offered me something important that Surfulater does not.  As far as I can tell, that's not the case.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 10:23 AM »
As an addendum to my post above, I will say that one of Ultra Recall's biggest missing features is the one that is biting me hard right now: the inability to save its settings for future use. I just reinstalled UR-Pro on my brand new computer and have spent the last hour + trying to get the layouts and settings just like they were before. Unfortunately it is not as simple as making a copy of an .ini or .dat file; UR stores its settings in the Windows registry, so unless you have a way to back-up your previous computer's registry in a way that allows you to restore only certain keys or at least read the settings in a human-recognizable language, then you must simply start over and try to get it close. I imagine that I COULD have made screen captures of each settings page but that wasn’t on my mind when I was making sure I had all the necessary setup files and registration codes available for the re-installations of all my software. Drats!!

Not truly a problem... just a pretty damn good annoyance!

Thanks!

Jim

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 10:38 AM »
To those using ultra recall, does UR include the ability to attach files to a new item within the program and, if so, does UR include a built-in viewer for common file types such as jpg, pdf, office docs, txt, etc?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 10:46 AM »
[...] I store all my important documents in it. I can search for any document within Ultra Recall and usually find it faster than otherwise. Of course I only use the documents stored in UR for reference; if I need to revise and resend anything I will still use the original document in its native app.

that would bother me.
just curious:
  • does the file in UR contain a link to the original file?
  • can you search the body of the file?
Tom

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 11:39 AM »
You have a choice whether to Link or Copy documents, emails, web pages, etc. to Ultra Recall.

You can search for all or any words whether in the title or body of any document. Also you can have it search as you type or wait till finished and then click "Search".

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 11:45 AM »
Oops - another little irritant I just discovered, though it is actually a Microsoft thing, not directly an Ultra Recall thing. Prior to this I could open and edit any Microsoft document (Word, Excel, Outlook - never tried PPT or PUB) within Ultra Recall. Nice feature, not having to open the Office app associated with the file. Now however with Office 2010, Microsoft has disallowed opening any file outside of the associated Office 2010 app.   :(   >:(

Ultra Recall uses Internet Explorer as it's internal browser and so used that to open/edit Microsoft Office files. Now Microsoft no longer allows Office files to open in IE - safety/security thing apparently, or so Microsoft claims. A real PITA though. Now clicking on an Office file inside Ultra Recall opens the file in its native app - Word, Excel, etc. Not a tremendous hardship but it is nice to be able to do it all in UR. Hopefully someone finds a hack for this!

Thank you.

Jim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 12:09 PM »
You have a choice whether to Link or Copy documents, emails, web pages, etc. to Ultra Recall.

that sounds better (choice). I have 100's of files linked to InfoQube and was able to successfully move machines in the summer. You are limited by using links, e.g. you can't easily change the file/folder structure, and have to open files externally.
At least you have the choice :up:

If that IE unable to read office files is with IE9 you could revert to IE8...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9
Tom

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 12:15 PM »
Hey Tom!

Copying (storing copies) or linking naturally affects the size of your UR database. I use only Copy and don’t link anything at all. I have run into problems in other similar databases where you link but moving or changing the name of a file in Explorer, DOpus, etc. screws everything up royally. And my UR databases haven't gotten slower or anything, so I copy all.

It is not an IE limitation that prevents opening Office files; it's the new "Protected" something or another concept that's built into Office 2010. Wish I had realized this before buying the doggone suite. They sure don’t mention such deleted features in the promo details.

Thanks!

Jim

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 07:16 AM »
The Pro version is merely $39:

2012-01-16_141453.gif

http://www.bitsdujou...ware/ultra-recall-2/

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 09:55 AM »
I bought a license for UltraRecall Pro v3 when it was on BdJ in 2008.  Kinook say V4 is a major upgrade that I would have to pay for.  This Bits deal at $39 is cheaper than their regular upgrade price of $50: Kinook prices.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 02:23 PM »
I bought a license for UltraRecall Pro v3 when it was on BdJ in 2008.  Kinook say V4 is a major upgrade that I would have to pay for.  This Bits deal at $39 is cheaper than their regular upgrade price of $50: Kinook prices.

Very true! Me? Purchased it on the same Bits deal you did - and then paid $50.00 for the upgrade back in August 2009 - (call me Dumberer!). If you plan to upgrade this is a much better way!

Jim

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 02:55 PM »
Purchased it on the same Bits deal you did - and then paid $50.00 for the upgrade back in August 2009 - (call me Dumberer!).
No, I'd call you realistic!  :)  It's been over three years between Bits deals (I think - haven't noticed any intermediate ones, anyway) and how were you to know they would run another deal?  In the Bits thread, Kinook say they're bringing out an updated version for Windows 8 and Office 2012, but don't say when, so I'm wondering if I'll fall behind again, not that either of those matter to me at the moment.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 03:21 PM »
March 2010 was last deal I believe, I didn't buy it and haven't this time. 10 hours or so to decide...

Bionic71

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 06:15 PM »
Kinook didn't proper Ultra Recall v3 for Windows7 when released, Ultra Recall v3 didn't work at all on Windows7.
Instead Kinook released v4 which forced every Windows7 user to upgrade  >:(

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens again with Windows8 & Office 2012 -> Ultra Recall v5

I like GPsoft for that (Directory Opus v9), propering & all before moving to v10 -> 100% customer care

Still, $39 for Ultra Recall v4 Pro.. nice deal, very useful

y2kusuma

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 07:17 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if this happens again with Windows8 & Office 2012 -> Ultra Recall v5

I asked Kyle from Kinook about this on Bitsdujour. He replied there will be updates for Windows 8 & Office 2012 , not v5 upgrade.

I'm really interested in this Bitsdujour deal, but I can not buy because no option for PayPal payment and no response from Kyle.

LM7

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 11:59 AM »
As an addendum to my post above, I will say that one of Ultra Recall's biggest missing features is the one that is biting me hard right now: the inability to save its settings for future use. I just reinstalled UR-Pro on my brand new computer and have spent the last hour + trying to get the layouts and settings just like they were before. Unfortunately it is not as simple as making a copy of an .ini or .dat file; UR stores its settings in the Windows registry, so unless you have a way to back-up your previous computer's registry in a way that allows you to restore only certain keys or at least read the settings in a human-recognizable language, then you must simply start over and try to get it close. I imagine that I COULD have made screen captures of each settings page but that wasn’t on my mind when I was making sure I had all the necessary setup files and registration codes available for the re-installations of all my software. Drats!!

Not truly a problem... just a pretty damn good annoyance!

Thanks!

Jim

You can transfer UR settings from one computer to another (I have done a number of times  times while updating computers) with two steps: copying the relevant registry information (using Regedit and exporting the Kinook Software key under HKCU - Software), and by copying relevant user settings as stored in your user profile.

LM7

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 12:01 PM »
Oops - another little irritant I just discovered, though it is actually a Microsoft thing, not directly an Ultra Recall thing. Prior to this I could open and edit any Microsoft document (Word, Excel, Outlook - never tried PPT or PUB) within Ultra Recall. Nice feature, not having to open the Office app associated with the file. Now however with Office 2010, Microsoft has disallowed opening any file outside of the associated Office 2010 app.   :(   >:(

Ultra Recall uses Internet Explorer as it's internal browser and so used that to open/edit Microsoft Office files. Now Microsoft no longer allows Office files to open in IE - safety/security thing apparently, or so Microsoft claims. A real PITA though. Now clicking on an Office file inside Ultra Recall opens the file in its native app - Word, Excel, etc. Not a tremendous hardship but it is nice to be able to do it all in UR. Hopefully someone finds a hack for this!

Thank you.

Jim

You can display files internally in UR under Office 2010 by following the instructions at http://www.kinook.co...ad.php?threadid=1042 (if necessary, you can DL the registry file at the site and double-click it to install) - I tried this and it worked for me.

Good luck and enjoy!