ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sorry, This Post Has Been Censored

<< < (6/19) > >>

ecaradec:
I've just seen some news on how reddit convinced a lot of people to call for their senators, donate money to them for future campaign, but the most pro-sopa senator are still determined to pass the law. I didn't realised how corrupted the system is, now I do, and I suppose it's probably only the tip of the iceberg. I don't say that about the US only actually, this as much as true for France.

This law basically gives the right to the media company to shut down any business, association, forums that use his website as a way to communicate. Why should a business have such a right on everything ? Google, Youtube, etc... would have been shutted down in their infancy if this law existed by then.

That's an absurdity. Especially since they are the same paranoid people who warn you that you shouldnt pirate the dvd you've paid. I suppose we'll see a warning that we shouldn't pirate every time we open a browser anytime soon for 2 minutes like on dvd.

I'll be very sad if this pass.

KynloStephen66515:
I suppose we'll see a warning that we shouldn't pirate every time we open a browser anytime soon for 2 minutes like on dvd.
--- End quote ---

tbh, any website worth visiting right now, will be shut down within minutes of the bill passing.

I can see Facebook, Google, Twitter, Bing, Mediafire, Imageshack, eBay, and many many more, (Including DonationCoder) being offline on the 1st Feb, if this new 'law' passes.

Shades:
Maybe some heads should roll again while chanting 'Vive la revolucion!'. (in a good old fashioned French tradition...)

KynloStephen66515:
This is a very interesting article...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/01/12/if-facebook-wont-stop-sopa-we-can-do-it-for-them/

Ive done their Facebook Album idea (I did it now, as it offers people more time to see it)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151138882720134.789667.527285133&type=1&l=cb159a4a29

40hz:
No, the fido.net was not a mistuk.
It exists and, if you read the background and related material, you will probably see why it's called that. It doesn't appear to be a scam riding illegitimately on Fidonet's coattails, or anything similar.
-IainB (January 14, 2012, 10:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Even if they were trying to ride on Fidonet's coattails there's nothing that could be done about it.

IIRC Fidonet and Fido were never registered as trademarks (since there was no business) or set up as any sort of formal organization. It was just a peer maintained network of volunteers. Knowing Tom Jennings avowedly anarchist political leanings, I doubt he would have allowed any formalization of his creation - even though he probably couldn't have done anything about it if it had happened. Because copyright was generally not considered applicable to software code, and the USPTO was still intelligent enough not to be issuing patents for software or business methods back then.

Simpler times... :)

And no lawyers.  :D

No wonder so much got done so fast - and so well. :Thmbsup:

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version