ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sorry, This Post Has Been Censored

<< < (5/19) > >>

Renegade:
@Renegade: SUPERB video clip. Quite an eye-opener. I shall be following that up too.
-IainB (January 14, 2012, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm glad you liked it! :D (Please pass it on!)

If I may, please indulge me... (still on topic)

I'd just like to take a moment to thank mouser for being so gracious and kind as to allow us the leeway to discuss some of these issues. This here isn't a "public" venue, and he's under no obligation to tolerate political discussions like these. So, while mouser may or may not agree with everything, he's been stellar in giving us a great deal of leeway when we get onto these topics.

We have been given a fantastic opportunity to communicate and share ideas on a grand scale, thanks to modern telecommunications and the Internet. I think that we all value that freedom to congregate and talk about different issues, like freedom of speech, and that it would be a great sin for us to take that for granted.

Some of my own opinions on things (not OC) are diametrically opposed to what some others here think, but I'm very glad that we have the opportunity to discuss them. The DC community is wonderfully tolerant (which is important when you're a radical freak like me ;D ) and it's a pleasure to be involved here. (Though I am rather upset that I wasn't able to release for NANY this year... sigh...)

There's something fundamental about the Internet. Something very deep an important. It has allowed us a great degree of freedom.

Some of us have experienced censorship from the state. Some of us haven't. I hope that in the future, none of us ever will again.

For the 18th, here's a quick hack that anyone can do for a web site:

1) Create a new web site and domain/subdomain.
2) Put your anti-SOPA notice there.
3) In your web site administration interface for the web server (not the web pages), redirect the site/domain to your anti-SOPA site.

This is overkill for most people, but for anyone that runs more than 1 or 2 sites, this is a very fast and cheap way to get your anti-SOPA message out there.

4) When you're ready, simply remove the redirection to your anti-SOPA site.

I'd say something cool like "semper fi" at this point, but that's kind of been tarnished as of late. :P

wraith808:
http://www.fido.net
--- End quote ---

Is it my imagination, or is this company using the name fido.net to sell services that have nothing to do with fidonet?

Renegade:
http://www.fido.net
--- End quote ---

Is it my imagination, or is this company using the name fido.net to sell services that have nothing to do with fidonet?
-wraith808 (January 14, 2012, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Check http://www.fidonet.org/

I think that was a typo.

IainB:
No, the fido.net was not a mistuk.
It exists and, if you read the background and related material, you will probably see why it's called that. It doesn't appear to be a scam riding illegitimately on Fidonet's coattails, or anything similar.

Renegade:
No, the fido.net was not a mistuk.
It exists and, if you read the background and related material, you will probably see why it's called that. It doesn't appear to be a scam riding illegitimately on Fidonet's coattails, or anything similar.
-IainB (January 14, 2012, 10:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry about that. At first glance, it looks like an expired domain that someone else bought up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version