ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Best USB/Bootable recovery and "utility" tools

<< < (4/6) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Anyone know of Vista and Windows 7 equivalent of "UBCD for Windows".

In particular I miss the registry tool for manually applying System Restore points when System Restore fails.

You can do also this manually from anything that accesses the hard disk in Windows XP but I haven't found a way of doing it Windows Vista or 7.

Steven Avery:
Hi,

Can the regular Ultimate Boot help ?  However, I do not see a direct System Restore reference so far.

Ultimate Boot CD
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I see they added Parted Magic.

"The Linux-based distro Parted Magic is now included with UBCD V5.0. This should be the method of choice when you need to resize/rescue partitions, access NTFS filesystems or work with USB storage devices."

You could ask on the forums about the tool you mentioned, as it may be standalone as well as in UBCD4Win. Often, these disks usually have ways to add a specific tool, if it is nowhere else and there is no equivalent.

Oh, I think your concern is that the tool won't work on Windows 7 anyway.  Then you have to ask the uber-techies.

=================

My backup went fine, checked it on another puter. 
Now trying the Windows reinstall repair utility.

Steven

40hz:
I've had the best luck following the advice and directions put together by Michael Pietroforte which can be found on his most excellent 4Sysops  :-* website.

He did a two part article some time back on creating a bootable USB rescue disk that allowed you to add your own tools to the mix. You can find the articles here and here.

While you're there, take a look at some of Mike's other articles. 4Sysops is one of the most rock solid sources for Microsoft related tech advice currently up on the web. It's one of the very few sites I check up on almost daily. Excellent reading - and a real lifesaver for me on more than one occasion.
 8)

4wd:
In particular I miss the registry tool for manually applying System Restore points when System Restore fails.-Carol Haynes (March 31, 2012, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is this the same as doing this: Manually restore the system registry for Windows XP ?

I wouldn't think that procedure would be all that different under W7, guess I'll have a look.

Is it a particular program that does this on UBCD4Win, (couldn't see anything that mentioned System Restore in the Version History or Tool list) ?

Carol Haynes:
Yes - it is under registry tools - called Restore Registry Wizard.

It comes up with a list of restore points and you can effectively do a registry only system restore. Has been really useful a number of times.

What it does is copy various registry hive backups in a System Restore subfolder of "System Volume Information" on drive C:

If I haven't got access to UDBCD4Win I can do this from the System Recovery environment on a Windows XP installation disk.

I haven't found any method of doing the same in Windows Vista or 7. System Restore seems to be significantly different in those because it also takes file snapshots as part of the restore point and from what I can tell the folders where these things are stored have been moved. Not sure where though - just can't do it manuall and the UBCD4Win too "Restore Registry Wizard" doesn't see any restore points on systems newer than XP.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version