topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 7:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: White Electroluminescent (EL) Tape Strip from adafruit  (Read 3512 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
White Electroluminescent (EL) Tape Strip from adafruit
« on: January 12, 2012, 02:47 AM »
Interesting product: White Electroluminescent (EL) Tape Strip
I would like to have something like this on my bicycle for improved visibility and safety, but it looks as though it could need too many batteries and 50cm length strips for me.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: White Electroluminescent (EL) Tape Strip from adafruit
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 06:07 AM »
I don't know - when I was a kid we used to have a dynamo next to the wheel and that meant that my pedalling powered my front and back lights. A quick search seems to show that this can easily produce 12v (that's the cheap standard ones, I bet more is possible) but for a LED style strip it might need much stabler power supply (dynamo output probably can be stabilised in some way by putting some kind of rechargeable battery or capacitor in the way)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 07:03 AM »
+1 w/Iphigenie

Don't know how much voltage or current you'd require, but the electrical engineering is pretty basic once you've got the mechanics worked out. And found the generator. A generator/battery (or capacitor) arrangement is definitely doable. One guy even generates AC using a stationary bicycle design. Article here. Check out the circuit builder and other links at the same site. Some very good info and ideas.

Motorola has a bicycle charger for cell phones. Article here.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 11:03 AM »
I'd look for strips which are designed to work on a 12V or lower inverter (which also makes them suitable for bathrooms and easily outdoors)

Although I think some of these phenomenons are quite temperature dependent so you'd have to check the specs before you buy to be sure your gear works on a cold winter night :)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:39 PM »
I don't know - when I was a kid we used to have a dynamo next to the wheel and that meant that my pedalling powered my front and back lights. A quick search seems to show that this can easily produce 12v (that's the cheap standard ones, I bet more is possible) but for a LED style strip it might need much stabler power supply (dynamo output probably can be stabilised in some way by putting some kind of rechargeable battery or capacitor in the way)

Dynamo -> rectifier (to make somewhat smooth DC voltage) -> ~18v rechargeable battery pack (with some sort of protection from over-charging) -> 12v voltage regulator to keep it smooth until the battery drains.

... or something like that.

For a DIY approach, more info >Here< though the 6v stated could be easily tweaked for different voltages.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:46 PM by Edvard »