topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Detecting duplicate videos  (Read 2899 times)

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Detecting duplicate videos
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:12 PM »
I turn to the experts and hope something like this exists. It should detect duplicates by analyzing frames in the video and be able to identify clips that share parts of the video (e.g. a movie rip, and  youtube clips from the movie, ) and mark the ones with the highest resolution and quality.

I found research papers that propose methods of doing this -

http://scenic.prince...t/edge-lab-video.pdf
http://ieeexplore.ie...60&userType=inst

Obviously this will be very expensive computationally but it doesn't matter.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Detecting duplicate videos
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 05:48 PM »
I suppose as a "cheap" way of doing it, you could:
1) Convert both clips into individual frame images.
2) Compare using an image comparison program, ideally one that would just output a report - if all the images in the shorter clip compare at, say, an 80+% match with some of the images in the other - chances are it's a clip cut from the other, (either it or its source).

Downside is it will be hugely resource intensive in terms of space, time and CPU/GPU.

Here's a script on Ubuntu, (and a link to a Ruby version in the last post), that will compare exact same video across different formats/framerate: Script to find duplicate videos based on content regardless of format. - it might give you some ideas.

There's also UQLIPS, (video upload/search link): A real-time near-duplicate video clip detection system (PDF paper) - who knows, they may be working on a standalone program.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:04 PM by 4wd »