topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Kopimism - a newly-formalised religion  (Read 16128 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Kopimism - a newly-formalised religion
« on: January 07, 2012, 09:40 PM »
This religion looks like it could be something that some people might find useful and worth joining.
So far, they (the Kopimists) are neither asking for nor demanding any money either - unlike most other religions that come to mind.
The potential legal implications seem interesting: MPAA Lawyer Inspired File-Sharing Religion, Catholic Bishop Unhappy
“In an interview in 2007 or 2008 (I believe, not sure about the date) the Swedish lawyer for the MPAA, Monique Wadsted, got a question about her views on the people advocating file sharing,” Sunde explains.

“It’s just a few people, very loud. They’re a cult. They call themselves Kopimists,” Wadsted responded.
At least it should avoid the Cruise-type wingnuts belonging to L. Ron Hubbard's (the science fiction author) invented cult of Scientology - which apparently claims:
"...the galactic warlord Xenu dumped 13.5 trillion beings in volcanoes on Earth, blowing them up and scattering their souls."

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kopimism - a newly-formalised religion
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 10:22 PM »
Hehehe~!

To be honest, when I look at what goes on in most mainstream religions, it really makes religions like the Kopimists and Scientologists sound much more sane.

e.g. I think it's better to believe in Xenu and aliens than it is to believe that running around killing people is good.

“In the case of this religion, the preachers are defined as the ones facilitating holy copying (and remixing). Translated to nerdspeak, that means the communications between operators of trackers/hubs and the people who partake in the sacrament of copying now carries confessional status, by and large making it illegal and impossible to collect as evidence in a trial,” Falkvinge continues.

Hehehe~! You go~! Woot~! :D

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 11:37 PM »
+10 for what Renegade said.   :Thmbsup:
Woot!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 08:30 AM »
O_o WTF? Maybe it's just a bit too early for me, but this is nutz. Granted that doesn't make it a bad thing... It's more of a measured response of equal force to the insanity that we all know as the RIAA/MPAA. It strikes me as watching a battle of whits play out at an asylum.

Now if they can just get it registered in the US...

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 08:47 AM »
http://falkvinge.net...s-official-religion/ (in Sweden)

It's at least as consistent as most other things that get recognised as religions. Although I'm not sure the sharing of knowledge and information is not, for me, the most beautiful thing there is (in a way I'd say finding/discovering/creating might be) - and that I could claim something like this without cracking out in laughter, it is true that sharing is one of the most natural things humans do - with ideas if not with resources

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 09:02 AM »
http://falkvinge.net...s-official-religion/ (in Sweden)

It's at least as consistent as most other things that get recognised as religions. Although I'm not sure the sharing of knowledge and information is not, for me, the most beautiful thing there is (in a way I'd say finding/discovering/creating might be) - and that I could claim something like this without cracking out in laughter, it is true that sharing is one of the most natural things humans do - with ideas if not with resources

Woohoo~!

Now, I wonder if I can start a sub-sect/cultish off-shoot/branch that believes in smoking pot, sharing information, and sharing photos of targets shot at long range with fully-automatic 50 caliber sniper rifles (yay for Barrett!) or mortars or bazookas or armor piercing tank rounds or white phosphorous rounds or... :P

Meh... I think I'd better start off light with 50 cal sniper rifles at a few hundred metres. :D UND KEINE EIER!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 09:42 AM »
Now, I wonder if I can start a sub-sect/cultish off-shoot/branch that believes in smoking pot, sharing information, and sharing photos of targets shot at long range with fully-automatic 50 caliber sniper rifles (yay for Barrett!) or mortars or bazookas or armor piercing tank rounds or white phosphorous rounds or...

Easy enough to do... Any chapter of Koptimists on this side of the Mason–Dixon Line, should automatically (pun intended) include the above requirements.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 10:35 AM »
The word religion makes me shudder.
Because of the potential for trouble.

I know there are many that do not cause trouble,
but there are many that do.

Centralizing power over aspects of the net could be another potential threat.
Even if it's in the name of keeping it free.

With individuals being named as spearheading this,
that alone gives them some power.

Maybe I don't know enough about the goals or ideas of this deal,
so it's just my opinion as an outsider of a sort.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 11:35 AM »
The word religion makes me shudder.
Because of the potential for trouble.

I know there are many that do not cause trouble,
but there are many that do.

Centralizing power over aspects of the net could be another potential threat.
Even if it's in the name of keeping it free.

With individuals being named as spearheading this,
that alone gives them some power.

Maybe I don't know enough about the goals or ideas of this deal,
so it's just my opinion as an outsider of a sort.

+1 - The devil you know vs. the lessor of evils vs. world domination by who knows what. No matter how this ends...it won't be good.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 01:08 PM »
I think the main goal is to make a point against the tightening of copyright and other internet-banning laws, and try using some of the exemptions of religion to make said point.
After all, claiming that something is against your religion gives you exemptions of some laws. And religions are harder to sue.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 01:20 PM »
I think the main goal is to make a point against the tightening of copyright and other internet-banning laws, and try using some of the exemptions of religion to make said point.
After all, claiming that something is against your religion gives you exemptions of some laws. And religions are harder to sue.

Oh sure, I understand the goal...and think the strategy is quite clever. I just find it rather troubling that "we" had to go there/that far just to ensure a bargaining position for something that should have been (according to now quickly becoming silly historical scribblings like the US constitution) a completely laughable non-issue.

The devil we knew, has been swapped for a lessor evil ... And that strikes me as being much like voting yes to castration as a birth control method. Sure it'll work just fine. ...But Damn!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 01:54 PM »
Hmm...I think I'm going to go back to declaring myself a Rasta-Judeo-Presbyterian-Islamic-Taoist-Bhuddist-Wiccan. And maybe do a quick LLC filing for a new faith-based organization. Something like The First Congregation of the Divine Revelation and Celestial Harmony. (Which resonates at 40hz in the frequency spectrum - in case you hadn't already guessed. :P)

Don't laugh. It could be done!
divene40.gif

Cults are soooo easy to set up...8)

That way I can (at my discretion) take offense at anything anybody says or does to me - and demand protection under constitutional and international law.

So...anybody interested in becoming a member of my new clergy? Reasonable rates! And, this month only, we're running a special on elevations to the rank of bishop. 50% off through January 31, 2012.  

Don't delay! ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:33 PM by 40hz »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 01:56 PM »
I have no problem with the goal. Not sure what else is behind it though.
The unknown factors....
The problem is people can change the strategy and then the goal could vary.
Or even change the goal depending on the people involved or will be.
'Religions' can change focus, without anyone noticing, something to watch for.

Like google, used to be just a nice search engine.
Now they want a piece of every transaction on the net.
Even .01% is millions.
A free service.....for good reason.

Just saying, or 'free' advise :) , be careful about things.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 01:59 PM »
Hmm...I think I'm going to go back to declaring myself a Rasta-Judeo-Presbyterian-Islamic-Taoist-Bhuddist-Wiccan. And maybe do a quick LLC filing for a new faith-based organization. Something like The First Congregation of the Divine Revelation and Celestial Harmony. (Which resonates at 40hz in the frequency spectrum - in case you hadn't already guessed. :P)

That way I can (at my discretion) take offense at anything anybody says or does to me - and demand protection under constitutional and international law.

So...anybody interested in becoming a member of my new clergy? Reasonable rates! And, this month only, we're running a special on elevations to the rank of bishop. 50% off through January 31, 2012. 

Don't delay! ;D

Ha! +++1
Here in this state you need at least 3 people to start a religion.
Don't know about other places.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 02:37 PM »

I have no problem with the goal.

I seldom have problems with goals.

But I always worry about those unintended consequences...

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 03:08 PM »

Um... Any chance of just whittling that down to just Wiccan something?? It's just that the Pagan, harmony with nature types have always struck me with being a much safer (on the bloodthirsty scale) option. Not saying the others are necessarily "bad" (history has already covered that...), I just have a few "comfort level" concerns. ;)

Well shit, i guess if you're having a sale...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 03:38 PM »
Any chance of just whittling that down to just Wiccan something?? It's just that the Pagan, harmony with nature types have always struck me with being a much safer (on the bloodthirsty scale) option.

Well..if you're gonna push then you'd need some sort of church militant wouldn't you? Wicca doesn't have much truck with that sort of thing.

And you're correct. About the only two religions that are demonstrably benign are Wicca and Buddhism. "Not by your words, but by your deeds, shall your true nature be known."  (Bravo! Where did you study intro theology?) :greenclp:

Well shit, i guess if you're having a sale...

Heck! For you it's free since we know each other already. (And I need you to keep your mouth shut about some 'stuff' you've been privy to.) ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 03:50 PM by 40hz »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 04:08 PM »
Although I don't see any use or excuse for religions, I don't think that these are (in itself) not so bad.

The problems with religions start with the ego of the people that are a (few) step(s) higher in the religious "food chain". Suddenly everybody needs to be convinced that their idea(s) are the only truth(s) and act according to their wishes.

However, truth is a vague concept at best and in my experience only (quantifiable) facts can be used to form truth that anyone can agree upon. To be honest, I truly don't care about your (mis-)conceptions of me needing to have an afterlife and serving whatever deity for eternity.

Sounds all like a dictatorship to me and I can have all that right now in this lifetime by moving to North Korea where a former deity recently passed away but granted NK time with his heir (according to their own state television).

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 04:14 PM »

Don't delay! ;D

Ha! +++1
Here in this state you need at least 3 people to start a religion.
Don't know about other places.

Sounds like a variation of the logic in Lewis Carrol's The Hunting of the Snark:

"Just the place for a Snark!" the Bellman cried,
As he landed his crew with care;
Supporting each man on the top of the tide
By a finger entwined in his hair.

"Just the place for a Snark! I have said it twice:
That alone should encourage the crew.
Just the place for a Snark! I have said it thrice:
What i tell you three times is true."

;D

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 04:44 PM »

It's definitely a deep double satire on the nature of copyright and the nature of religion. "It's God's Will that I do X, and you can't me." And the almost unbelievable reverse corruption surrounding copyright "post a song and go to jail".

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 04:46 PM »
(Bravo! Where did you study intro theology?)

Same place I studied the rest of it, from inside by way of observation. In my youth I bounced from religion to religion after becoming disillusioned with the one I was raised it. I quickly learned that - As Shades stated above - "Truth" is highly subjective. However Wicca stood out above the rest (I was in a coven), as the least hypocritical by far... For as you said deeds truly do speak louder than words. They're also a lot harder to twist. ;)

On a side note: There aren't many Buddhists here in the south, so I've no hands-on to refer back to ... but as you say they are a rather fair minded bunch. So I should not have excluded them in my original request. I stand corrected.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 04:53 PM »
I agree Shades, dictatorships rule the religions, for the most part.
Mostly because of the blatant lack of checks and balances.

And the apparent thought and doctrine of being excluded or included in a 'heaven'.
To which they have no idea what it is as well as hell or eternity.
To these that separate the saved/unsaved or similar terms,
I classify as hate groups. With western religions just as bad or worse as some eastern ones.

There are notable exceptions though, both east and west, putting everyone together,
and maintaining individual relief status. Including Atheists.
And a few quite large and growing that you may never hear of.
Even in the medical fields some are waking up to the common denominator.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 06:27 PM »
The only good thing about nonsense religions like this is that it highlights the nonsense it all religions

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 07:48 PM »

Don't delay! ;D

Can I smoke pot and play with heavy weaponry for recreational purposes? :P ;D

Um... Any chance of just whittling that down to just Wiccan something?? It's just that the Pagan, harmony with nature types have always struck me with being a much safer (on the bloodthirsty scale) option. Not saying the others are necessarily "bad" (history has already covered that...), I just have a few "comfort level" concerns. ;)

Wicca is an interesting case. Modern Wicca originated in either the 1800's or 1900's, but depending on who you listen to, some trace its origins to witch trials or back further. What's the truth? Oh cripes... God goddess knows. :P

The pagan thing again is really mucked up. Numerous pagan religions throughout history have used ritual human sacrifice. Again, depending on who you listen to, "virgin" often simply means "child". Making pagans a bunch of blood-thirsty baby killers. :P ;D

The "Wicker Man" comes from the Druids. Again, depends on who you want to listen to.  :-\

I've never heard of human sacrifice in any Hindu religion except for the Thuggees who worshipped Kali. Someone probably knows more than me about that though.

As an offshoot of Hinduism, Buddhism seems to be particularly peaceful, and I've never heard of any ritual violence there. Well, with the obvious exception of the warrior monk castes and all that jazz.

OH! OH! OH! I know one religion where I've NEVER heard of ANY violence! The PASTAFARIANS~! FSM! FTW~! ;D :P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 08:48 PM »
@Ren - It's "turtles all the way down" if you ask me.  :huh:

Like my grandfather used to say: Everybody lies about sex and religion.  8)