ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Kopimism - a newly-formalised religion

<< < (6/7) > >>

Renegade:
@Ren - It's "turtles all the way down" if you ask me.  :huh:

Like my grandfather used to say: Everybody lies about sex and religion.  8)
-40hz (January 08, 2012, 08:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Pretty much~! :)

I think one of my absolute favourite quotes from anyone, ever, is from the Bible - John 18:38 - Pontius Pilate:

What is truth?
--- End quote ---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_is_truth%3F

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention... This sentence is false. :P

superboyac:
Hmm...I think I'm going to go back to declaring myself a Rasta-Judeo-Presbyterian-Islamic-Taoist-Bhuddist-Wiccan. And maybe do a quick LLC filing for a new faith-based organization. Something like The First Congregation of the Divine Revelation and Celestial Harmony. (Which resonates at 40hz in the frequency spectrum - in case you hadn't already guessed. :P)
  Cults are soooo easy to set up...8)

That way I can (at my discretion) take offense at anything anybody says or does to me - and demand protection under constitutional and international law.

So...anybody interested in becoming a member of my new clergy? Reasonable rates! And, this month only, we're running a special on elevations to the rank of bishop. 50% off through January 31, 2012. 

Don't delay! ;D
-40hz (January 08, 2012, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ha!  Very cool!

Count me in...

Stoic Joker:
Super Bishop does have a nice ring to it...

IainB:
The word religion makes me shudder.
Because of the potential for trouble.
-cmpm (January 08, 2012, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Understandable, that, but it does not make me shudder in anticipation of potential trouble. It rather makes my ears prick up though.
I was taught at an early age (by my mother) to consider that the real enemies of humanity were those "things" that frustrated our ability to think rationally. She explained that those "things" would help us to find irrational substantiation for acts making all manner of trouble for others - and that those "things" appear to be naturally within us in the form of a subconsciously-held triumvirate consisting of:

* ignorance,
* stupidity and
* bigotry.
We are born into this state. Everything we say and do is potentially crawling with these things, disabling our ability for critical thinking, and locked into our paradigms - which latter act as a distorting lens through which we think and perceive "reality".

No-one has a monopoly on these three, but you can invariably see them at play in most/all religions and religious beliefs and religio-political ideologies in general, and in the statements that people make regarding these things.
Which was why my mother encouraged me to read and "find out for myself" about religion and the various religio-political ideologies, because that was where I would come face-to-face with the enemy of reason.
So, that's why I said:
It rather makes my ears prick up though.

--- End quote ---

We all need to be wary if an enemy is about.

cmpm:
I'm not afraid, just been watchful.
Yes, think rationally, good point IainB.
Maybe 'shudder' doesn't communicate what I really think.

Too often stamping 'religion' on something,
takes accountability away, opening up the potential for abuse.
In tactics used, people used and unintended consequences,
as 40hz pointed out.

And I'm not anti-religion,
more like a canary in a coal mine.
Cause I am involved in religions.

Maybe I'm way off topic,
or not.
I use the net almost every day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page