ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can U Say Crap-O-Riffic??

<< < (4/9) > >>

Stoic Joker:
And now the second chapter of As the Mind Boggles - What Again?!?

So a few days ago, I get this little blinking icon with a balloon message what says RAID Failure. Nice... Just what I need while I'm trying to get started on a new project that right out of the gate is supposed to take an entire year.

Weeee... + Word that rhymes with truck (hint: it isn't pineapple).

So I pop open the Intel Matrix Storage Console, to see who the hell died now. The 2 remaining old drives 0 & 1, are just fine. The brand new WD drive from BestBuy is however reporting an "Error Condition". I say condition, because it had a status of error, it was red, and it was blinking. These are all cues that something is in a condition what needs attention. It did not however tell me a damn thing about WTF'ing error was...specifically.

So... I right clicked the offending drive, to see what my options might be. And as it happens there was an option on said menu that asked - something to the effect of - Would you like this drive to be normal. And I thought to myself, why yes I would like that drive to be(have) normal(ly) ... And so I clicked said option ... And it set the drives status to normal, and began to rebuild. 1%. 2%. 3% ... It was a rather boring show so I went to bed.

The next morning, all was fine in RAID land as all the drives were happily frolicking in unison. But would it last?? No.

I get home from work that night and we're right back to the cheerfully blinking RAID Failure icon. This time the status of the drive is failed. Which is nice in a way as now I don't have to go digging around trying to figure out what some obscure error code means. However it does strike me that the previous day's error may have been that the drive was almost, but not quite, dead yet... (yes the Monty Python version) ...But it would be in a day-or-so...

I did manage to find another drive (also a WD Caviar blue), and the array is once again rebuilding. You'd think it would get faster with all the practice its had lately ... But no. It's at 7%.

And that will conclude my patience for the evening. So if you'll excuse me ... I have to go fucking snap.  :D

Thank you.

JavaJones:
Remind again why RAID is so awesome? ;)

- Oshyan

40hz:
Remind again why RAID is so awesome? ;)

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (January 21, 2012, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because it's been spoken of highly by Java Jones?  :P

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

But if it's any consolation, I also had a RAID failure on a mirror yesterday. Swapped out the dive in slot-0, initiated a rebuild and almost (caught myself in time) told it to rebuild the array from the replacement drive rather than the one holding the data.

Fortunately, I always image the drive (and do a regular backup) before I do a rebuild, so it wouldn't have been a total catastrophe if I did. But who wants to restore from either one of those if they don't absolutely have to?

It was that kind of week I guess.

So...dip me in white chocolate fondue and call me Noob! Whatcha gonna do?  ;D

Next week will be better. Onward! :Thmbsup:

cranioscopical:
So...dip me in white chocolate fondue and call me Noob! Whatcha gonna do?
-40hz (January 21, 2012, 05:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
Lickety-spit?  :P

40hz:
So...dip me in white chocolate fondue and call me Noob! Whatcha gonna do?
-40hz (January 21, 2012, 05:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
Lickety-spit?  :P

-cranioscopical (January 21, 2012, 05:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Only if someone feels the need for foreplay. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version