ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can U Say Crap-O-Riffic??

<< < (3/9) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Guess Ubuntu is safer than street-racing-Shades (January 08, 2012, 10:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

:-\ ...Oh what the hell, I've made worse leaps of logic (hehe).  :Thmbsup:

But in Windows defense, the array has been rock stable for 4 or 5 years of 24/7 running. And that includes surviving the Vista -> 7 upgrade ... So I got no complaints. It's just the usual Theory vs. Practice argument. In theory the Asus Commando's on-board RAID controller should be able to rebuild the array just fine. In practice. However... You don't get to find out if the theory is indeed correct ... Until - Something goes horribly wrong - It's too late. :)

40hz:
My biggest complaint about RAID is its relative inflexibility. All drives the same, need to plan for largest total storage space before initializing, impaired performance until failed elements get replaced...yadda-yadda. What we really need is a flexible media pool with full data redundancy/recovery capabilities. And one that can have its space extended without hassles or the need to reinitialize/reconfigure a whole new array.

With the level of system experience and sophistication we've reached, storage management should be virtually transparent and largely automatic. We should be able to add, replace, and remove elements at will and leave our systems to handle the heavy lifting and sort out the details. And do so without the need for semi-esoteric hardware controllers to make it happen efficiently.

Just my 2ยข anyway. (I'm not alone.)

Fortunately it looks like this is finally starting to happen in the Linux and Windows world.

Yay!

Stoic Joker:
True, there's always room for improvement ... And (i guess) a new storage medium that's less grenade prone is too much to ask for. :)

40hz:
But I still got a thing for RAID ... That will take a while to pryme away from. *Shrug* hehe
--- End quote ---

Maybe you should join a support group? :huh: :P
-40hz (January 08, 2012, 08:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Aren't those just Redundant Arrays of Independent(ly damaged) People? That would make the best first step to not go.
-Stoic Joker (January 08, 2012, 09:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

For your information, that's independently 'deluded' - not 'damaged' Buster!  ;D

Stoic Joker:
But I still got a thing for RAID ... That will take a while to pryme away from. *Shrug* hehe
--- End quote ---

Maybe you should join a support group? :huh: :P
-40hz (January 08, 2012, 08:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Aren't those just Redundant Arrays of Independent(ly damaged) People? That would make the best first step to not go.
-Stoic Joker (January 08, 2012, 09:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

For your information, that's independently 'deluded' - not 'damaged' Buster!  ;D

-40hz (January 08, 2012, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Aw Gee Wiz mom... Do I really have to be Politically Correct while I'm talking shit? That'll just make me sound like... ... ...Them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version