topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Notes with dual ( X and Y axis ) user category tabs & other interface niceties  (Read 4821 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

A very helpful part of the note programs is strong tab implementation.  This can avoid your having data in multiple files to open and close, a big plus.  
Right Note, for instance has a strong horizontal (x axis) implementation combined with an explorer tree on the y axis with multiple levels, I think.  This could be given an arbitrary tab-interface score of maybe 8.5 on a scale of 10, real solid and strong, not spectacular.

Keynote-NF seems to have the same features. (Heavy users of the programs .. please tweak.)

TreeDbNotes as well, so this combo looks to be the standard, more or less.

Any significant functional difference in the 3 ? Right Note seems to win in "presentation" of the meal, where the tabs are easy to color and the sizes vary to text.

I remember seeing (and commenting on) one program having strong X and Y axis implementation of user-defined categories, which is a nice plus for the program.  **** Anyone remember or know which program has this ?  ****  The reason this is helpful is that often your major categories, such as finances, web, spirit, software, etc could be the Y axis distinction, while the specific topics could be X axis,   Within the specific topics, then, the Explorer tree would only get moderately cluttered.  The whole purpose here is to keep a bit of top-down thinking so that the Explorer tree does not have to be frequently opened and closed and navigated to find the present topic.

Note: some programs use tabs internally in neat ways. MyBase uses them in the context of the explorer menu, Overview, Bookmarks, Calendar, Labels, Outline.  Helpful, but a bit rigid, dunno if it is modifiable.  Of course, calendar implementation is another place where these programs have major differences.

Compare your favorite programs in Tab implementation (or any substitute ideas that are functionally helpful).

We could also discuss other aspects of tabs, and interface niceties.  Do they size and place easily, etc.  Are the button bars customizable ?  Is the user interface crisp ?

A major example -
 ** I would like my major colors right on the button bar, rather than a pull-down pallet and choice. **
Is this implemented here or there ?  A note is much more usable if you can color-code on the fly, very simply.

This thread, perhaps, can focus on these interface things, which we sometimes consider as secondary, but really help determine if we like the program.  Simple example. Keynote-NF is a nice program, but a little bland in style.  (Maybe it has skins ?)

Major first interest, tab application.

Your thoughts welcome.  Drift into other discussions if you please.  Place your pics in the thread (ok, I should remember how to do that, too). The emphasis here is generally on the free-form notes programs, the more techie database ideas are a different issue.

==============

Another big issue is an active user forum, a rarity in the Note field.  Worthy of discussion, too, as it has a lot to do with where we settle.  Right Note is considered excellent despite this lack, but it should be noted.  The developers should be encouraged on this, even if it is done by a Yahoogroups or Googlegroups type of forum, or even attempted by letting Donationcoder or another forum host.  (Wilder's does this a lot with security software, quite successfully.)

==============

Possibly in printing there are big distinctions as well.  Formatting, margins, viewing, combining pages, saving a set of printing. If you find that one program really shines here, share away.  We tend to forget about that aspect until we are done and want to take the notes with us.  It is nice if our notes can be our pseudo-.doc files.

==============

Granted, we have a danger here of running through the whole feature set of the notes, revisiting the "big threads". Not exactly the goal. More techie things like synching to the cloud, spreadsheet implementations, export-import, PIM, database, etc. are less the sense of this thread.

Steven

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:03 AM by Steven Avery »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I remember seeing (and commenting on) one program having strong X and Y axis implementation of user-defined categories, which is a nice plus for the program.  **** Anyone remember or know which program has this ?  ****  The reason this is helpful is that often your major categories, such as finances, web, spirit, software, etc could be the Y axis distinction, while the specific topics could be X axis,   Within the specific topics, then, the Explorer tree would only get moderately cluttered.  The whole purpose here is to keep a bit of top-down thinking so that the Explorer tree does not have to be frequently opened and closed and navigated to find the present topic.
-Steven Avery (March 08, 2012, 07:03 AM)

Allowing for tabbed folders within the category tree?

Oooo...

Somebody please remember who is doing that?

I want it.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Steven,

Right Note, for instance has a strong horizontal (x axis) implementation combined with an explorer tree on the y axis with multiple levels, I think.  This could be given an arbitrary tab-interface score of maybe 8.5 on a scale of 10, real solid and strong, not spectacular.
The reason this is helpful is that often your major categories, such as finances, web, spirit, software, etc could be the Y axis distinction, while the specific topics could be X axis,   Within the specific topics, then, the Explorer tree would only get moderately cluttered.  The whole purpose here is to keep a bit of top-down thinking so that the Explorer tree does not have to be frequently opened and closed and navigated to find the present topic.

I have only recently started using RightNote but so far it is able to do most everything I've needed or tried. Purchased it during the BDJ offer.
The X Y axis is present in RightNote, they are just opposite of your above quote.  Categories (Pages in RightNote) are the X and specific topics would be the Y (Explorer window.)  This better fits my usage and I guess thought process.
I also like that it allows me to choose the type "note" I prefer in each category. Each can be any or combination of Memo, RichEdit or RichView (still figuring out the differences of the two,) Source Code or Spreadsheet.
- 3_8_2012 , 9_49_21 AM.pngNotes with dual ( X and Y axis ) user category tabs & other interface niceties

A major example -
 ** I would like my major colors right on the button bar, rather than a pull-down pallet and choice. **
Is this implemented here or there ?  A note is much more usable if you can color-code on the fly, very simply.
Unfortunately I haven't found a single button method but it is still relatively easy to change the color through the right-click context menu.  Plus through the context menu a different icon can be added to each note, child or sibling.

Another big issue is an active user forum, a rarity in the Note field.  Worthy of discussion, too, as it has a lot to do with where we settle.  Right Note is considered excellent despite this lack, but it should be noted.  The developers should be encouraged on this, even if it is done by a Yahoogroups or Googlegroups type of forum, or even attempted by letting Donationcoder or another forum host.  (Wilder's does this a lot with security software, quite successfully.)
It's also unfortunate RightNote doesn't have a forum for sharing of information... yet.  I am hopeful it is only a yet and one will be started. I saw that you posted regarding this on BDJ.
I'm not sure how their support by email is doing so far.  I sent a question and haven't heard back yet.  Being fair, it's only been ~18 hours since it was sent.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

Yes, I ran into the same lack of quick response on a request about:

System Icon Database not found
Custom Icon Database not found

on loadup.  And I mentioned to Rael some of the customization questions (enhancement requests). However, none of this is critical, to be fair, all very minor.  Also sometimes responses get lost in the aether.  

Maybe we should set up a RightNote discussion thread here ? Is that "normative" ? :)  The program is very quite nice to use, I hope to do a bit of comparison in the weeks ahead (MyBase, Treepad, etc.) Maybe Rael will join us if he sees the tone is supportive and helpful, and then maybe move to a wider venue too.  

The reason the RightNote system is not exactly the most full X-Y possibility is that you could have Tabs on the left as well.  Then you would have three major groups, like this:

Tabs on left --
Major totally independent categories - e.g Puter, Spirit, Special_Project, PIM
(this in many systems would be separate disk files)

Lets take PIM as an example, although Puter might be better.  Remember, we are using RightNote as a general note holder, we might xfer notes later to more structured programs like a Rainlendar for Calendar or Swift for To-Do or Listpro or Essential PIM for this and that. Or our programming expertise in Alpha 5, etc.  However notes always have a nice free-form color-code master "think about this" aspect that is special, that is why we like "notes".  You can easily set up a note for thinking about the notes !

Then on the top you might have "sub-categories"
PIM -- Calendar, Addy, ToDo, PIM-Software, My Finance Info, Groupons, etc.  

Then you use the Tree as a structure.
Say within Calendar, you might have pages (optionally using subfolders) with Webinar, Daily, Special Dates, City events, etc.

This might not be the best example, because you might feel that you should one-step calendar directly to your calendar program.  Yet remember, even that program choice could change, the good thing about a master "Note" program is that it always flexible, you can always color code and high-light, and you can search-find quickly.  Also you are in and out quickly, adding or modifying. And with 2 structure levels (Rightnote) or even better .. 3, you can be comfy in design.  Granted an explorer tree has multi-level capabilities, but getting too fancy there (3-4 levels) is not something that you would likely do in notes.

======================

btw, that feature of different types of notes in the Tree in RightNote does have the potential for a being a major help.  Swift To-Do does something similar and I found it very nice.  Keep us informed of what you find.  What is a memo note ?

Steven
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:21 AM by Steven Avery »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
As far as response goes I didn't get a response when I emailed suggesting a DC discount.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

RightNote new release 2.4. My two warning messages seem to be gone.
Haven't checked other new stuff.

Anybody have any idea whether I really saw an XY grid, with tabs on both sides ?

It hit me as really kewl, but I fergot to note it down.  I'll try to look at all the note
programs I know when I have a chance.

Steven

DeVamp

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Let the coding begin :-)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anybody have any idea whether I really saw an XY grid, with tabs on both sides ?

It hit me as really kewl, but I fergot to note it down.  I'll try to look at all the note
programs I know when I have a chance.
-Steven Avery (March 25, 2012, 12:30 PM)

Maybe it was OneNote from microsoft?
It even has 3 places with tabs. Left, top, right

here's a screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/m6efh.png