ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

[REQ] Disable sleep/hibernation one time to drain battery

<< < (3/3)

4wd:
Well, it seems to first hibernate, and then on wake up it works... -vevola (February 18, 2012, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

What OS are you using?
What is the Power Scheme before you run it, (Control Panel->Power Options) ?
What is the Power Scheme after you run it ?

Always On or High Performance does not normally allow Sleep, Standby or Hibernate unless the Power Scheme has been changed by the user, (you should make a copy and change that instead).

Also... should I be running it *twice*? I'm not sure I understand your earlier post with the two screenshots...-vevola (February 18, 2012, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Updated:
20120112 - Running it a second time reverts to the original power scheme and clears the RunOnce\pmt key.
20120120 - Outputs results into a window.
-4wd (January 05, 2012, 10:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's what the Revert in the output window signifies, Revert=Yes means it's being run for the second time and is setting the Power Scheme to it's original setting prior to the first time PMT was run, it also clears the RunOnce registry entry.

vevola:
I'm running Win7 64x with "Balanced" power scheme.

To be honest, I tried using the revert, but now hibernation doesn't work at all. When it goes to sleep, I can't wake it up anymore. I see "resuming", and then a black screen and I have to force shut it down. I then see "delete restoration data" or "resume", and I have to "delete" for windows to boot. Which also means that if I forget to save whatever I have open and go away for a while... well... I loose everything.

Any tips?

4wd:
OK, I'm going to need some more information:

Is your operating system on an SSD or HDD?

The output of the powercfg list command, (see below):

C:\>powercfg list

Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
-----------------------------------
Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e  (Balanced) *
Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c  (High performance)
Power Scheme GUID: a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a  (Power saver)
Power Scheme GUID: e12bd28e-68a8-4f90-b0a5-f76b2b523ca3  (AMD Fusion Utility Recovery Profile)

--- End quote ---

Can you do a screengrab of PMTs output window when you run it both the first and second time, (like I did here), and either PM them to me or attach to a post.

Can you do a screengrab of both the Balanced and High Performance Advanced settings of your Power Options, the default for both of them should look like this:

Also, after running it once what is the value of the PMT key stored under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce (use regedit.exe) ?

What is it after running PMT a second time, (it shouldn't be there) ?

vevola:
Is your operating system on an SSD or HDD?
--- End quote ---
SSD

The output of the powercfg list command
--- End quote ---
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
-----------------------------------
Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e  (Balanced)
Power Scheme GUID: 49ef8fc0-bb7f-488e-b6a0-f1fc77ec649b  (Dell)
Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c  (High performance)
Power Scheme GUID: a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a  (Power saver) *

Can you do a screengrab of PMTs output window when you run it both the first and second time

Can you do a screengrab of both the Balanced and High Performance Advanced settings of your Power Options
--- End quote ---

Here's an archive with those screengrabs: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7336846/pmt_screenshots.rar

Also, after running it once what is the value of the PMT key stored under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce (use regedit.exe) ?
--- End quote ---

powercfg.exe /setactive a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a

What is it after running PMT a second time, (it shouldn't be there) ?
--- End quote ---

And it's not.

Thanks for your help!

4wd:
Thanks, it shows that PMT is, (or trying to), switch from Power Saver to High Performance.

You didn't include the High Performance Advanced settings screengrab, could you please?

I'm running Win7 64x with "Balanced" power scheme.-vevola (March 14, 2012, 03:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

The powercfg output shows you're running in the Power Saver scheme which is a bit more frugal than the Balanced scheme.

It also seems to indicate that there might be some form of power software installed by Dell, (only because I see a Dell power scheme there - AMD do the same thing if you run their Fusion software IIRC).

Thanks for your help!
--- End quote ---

No problem, it's just got me beat how it can be messing up your hibernation when all it does is swap power schemes, it doesn't change anything in those schemes.  It shouldn't even be going into Sleep/Hibernation when in High Performance, as you can see from my grab above, they're both set to Never by default.

You can also reset the power schemes to their default values by pressing the Restore Plan Defaults button under each schemes Advanced settings.

I've attached a small video of what happens when it runs - you can watch it change the power scheme each time it's run, (.7z because you can't attach .mp4 for some reason).

It's the equivalent of you typing in the following commands in a CLI, just as a matter of interest can you effect the same change from the CLI and does it do the same thing Hibernate-wise ?

powercfg /setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c   (should set to High Performance)
powercfg /setactive a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a    (should set back to Power Saver)

Anyone else care to try it with a Win7 laptop and see what happens?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version