ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Found on the Web: Short Rant Against Users of Free Web Apps

(1/9) > >>

mouser:
Short post about frustration and abandonment of a freemium web service -- being picked up by sites like slashdot and hackernews.

There's nothing notable or special about this -- I think it's just striking a nerve that I suspect we'll see more of as more and more business people come to terms with the limits of building a business model on giving away free services.  Still, it's worth reading and discussing..

I am done with “free”. I have come to the realization that most people who want something for free will never, ever think of paying you, no matter how valuable they find your service...

--- End quote ---

http://www.tylernichols.com/web-development/i-am-done-with-the-freemium-business-model

from http://slashdot.org/story/12/01/05/0333258/why-freemium-doesnt-work

Josh:
Without reading the whole article, the first sentence sums it up for me. I came to this realization years ago with regards to free software. I really do not think it is a sustainable business model. I've watched many products go from free to shareware and the user base instantly turn, despite the various ways developers have attempted to calm their userbase before, during and after the transition. It all comes down to unwillingness to pay. It all ties into what I once titled the Entitled Generation. Most users fail to realize just how much work goes into developing software and, as such, they will never come to terms with why it is a good idea to support products they use and enjoy.

berry:
I've done both and I basically agree. Too many "customers" of my freeware were demanding and rude. The customers of my payware are courteous, thoughtful and pleasant.

cheers,

Josh:
That is part of it. Many freeware users feel they are entitled to use the software and you, as a developer, are required to listen and add whatever they want. They clamor for more and more, but complain the second you ask them for money or display a simple dialog requesting they donate. It is a losing battle for the freeware developer.

mouser:
I wonder if the key problem here isn't so much that a service is technically "free", but that the free users view the service as making money off of them indirectly.  If facebook and google are making billions from advertising off their "free" services, it's not surprising when users don't feel a strong loyalty or bond with the site (how google continues to reap so much good will from people i don't know -- they certainly don't get it from me).

I think the relationship with users is quite different if they don't feel like they are being used as cattle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version