ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: "CopySmart"

(1/4) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Here's a fun idea!

You have a file or folder with a number in it. You want to make a whole bunch of template files and folders. So you copy it, right? Only instead of File1 File2 File3 File4, you get File1, File1 (copy2), file1-copy-copy-copy(2) etc! Yuck! Because you then have to go rename them all.

What about a utility that lets you select a file or folder, pick the digit to increase, then names all the new copies after that?

Suggested features: Definitely keyboard support! The whole idea came from banging Control-V on my files and folders. I don't think I want to over-write Control-V. It's not clear why it needs a control-anything at all! What about the Tilde key? ` I can't even remember the last time I used that key for real.

TaoPhoenix:
Anyone want to take a whack at this?

I'm stuck making more folders again, and here we go renaming away from "doc copy copy copy" to "doc1" "doc2" etc.

Edit: Flexible Renamer is pretty good, and it got me past today, though I like "low-res" tricks too, so there's still room for the "1-button" widget.

skwire:
Are you only ever selecting one file or one folder when you do this?  If so, writing something like this is infinitely easier.

TaoPhoenix:
Hi Skwire!

I agree Flexible Renamer has more horsepower to repair existing junk names etc.

Yes, what I see the need for is a single file / folder smart copier so that I don't get all that junk that requires Flexible Renamer to fix!  ;D

Usage wise, I'd see it as something that sits in the tray so that the new smartcopy is "just there", tied to some key, rather than having to open the app and "import target folder or file".

skwire:
Here's a quick-n-dirty AutoHotkey hotkey that should do what you want.  Copy a single file or folder to the clipboard and then press Win+V, enter the number of copies you want and it should make them.  Works with a single file or a single folder only and has some basic sanity checking built-in to check this.

--- Code: Autohotkey ---#v::{    myPath := Clipboard    ; Check for existence of multiple items.  Kick out if found.    Loop, Parse, myPath, `n, `r    {        If ( A_LoopField != "" )        {            If ( A_Index > 1 )            {                MsgBox, 16, Error, Multiple files selected!`n`nThis hotkey is designed for use with only one file or folder selected.                Return            }        }    }        ; Check path for validity.    If ! FileExist( myPath )    {        MsgBox, 16, Error, Current clipboard contents either:`n1) Do not exist anymore or`n2) Are not a file/folder path        Return    }         ; Get number of copies to make from the user.    InputBox, numCopies, Number of copies, Enter number of copies to make:, , , 110     If ! ( ErrorLevel ) ; User did not cancel.  Proceed.    {        SplitPath, myPath, OutFileName, OutDir, OutExtension, OutNameNoExt, OutDrive        Loop, % numCopies        {            ; Check if destination file/folder exists.  If so, create a unique name for it to avoid collisions.            Loop            {                If FileExist( OutDir . "\" . OutFileName )                {                    OutFileName := OutNameNoExt . A_Index . ( ( InStr( FileExist( myPath ), "D" ) ) ? ( "" ) : ( "." . OutExtension ) )                 }                Else                {                    Break                }            }            If ( InStr( FileExist( myPath ), "D" ) ) ; myPath is a folder.            {                FileCopyDir, % myPath, % OutDir . "\" . OutFileName            }            Else ; myPath is a file.            {                FileCopy, % myPath, % OutDir . "\" . OutFileName            }        }    }}Return

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version