topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 10:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: App that keeps track of things that have been printed  (Read 4160 times)

mentallo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: App that keeps track of things that have been printed
« on: February 21, 2012, 01:21 AM »
Sometimes I find myself wanting to know what I printed yesterday. I think an app that keeps track of the things you print would be great. Like a clipboard but for the printer.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: App that keeps track of things that have been printed
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 07:30 AM »
Take a look at the freebie PaperCut Print Logger. I think that may do what you need. :)

PaperCutâ„¢ Print Logger is a free print logging application for Windows systems designed to provide real-time activity logs detailing all printer use. Information tracked includes:

•    the time of print,
  •    the name of the user who printed,
  •    the total number of pages,
  •    document names and titles,
  •    other print job attributes such as paper size, color mode and more.

Print audit logs are available in a viewer friendly HTML format, or in CSV or Excel format for advanced users needing the data for further analysis.
Highlights...

•    100% free!
  •    Easy to use HTML interface.
  •    Now available in English, French, German, Japanese, Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Simplified), Italian and Spanish.
  •    Monitor printing on all major printer makes and models.
  •    Real-time print logs ensure data is always current and live.
  •    Printer usage logs are available in Microsoft Excel format allowing for detailed print analysis and charting.
  •    Compatible with both desktop and server versions of Microsoft Windows print queues.
  •    Unobtrusive - no need to modify the printing process or configure printers differently.

8)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:36 AM by 40hz »

mentallo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 12:05 PM »
Thnaks for the suggestion but this program only shows when and what (file name) and from where (site or MSOffice...) was printed. I actually would want something that shows exactly what was printed. I dont know if this is even possible but I would find it pretty useful.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:54 PM »
I havent used it in a few years, but IIRC, if you print through a programme like FinePrint* it will/can save everything printed. Can be reprinted etc.

* a virtual -is that the right word?- printer. There were other similar, but cheaper, apps recommended here within the last couple of years, so if something like that is what you want, you could do a search here.
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 02:13 PM »
* a virtual -is that the right word?- printer.

Yes it is! :Thmbsup:

Wow! FinePrint. That's a "Blast from the Past." We used to use that in a place I worked for back when 1200dpi laser and color (especially dye-sublimation) output was expensive. We used to use it to track output costs and for client billing.

Glad to see these guys are still around. FinePrint was a very capable product. :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 04:02 PM »
You could always check Keep Printed Documents (Advanced tab of Printer Properties) ... Then they'd stay in the spool with a status of printed. Obviously this is a for a single person solution...as it won't scale worth a damn.

For an office printer, anything along those (too specific) lines the term 'Privacy Concerns' comes to mind.