ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Upgrading RAM amount; please help me choose.

<< < (7/11) > >>

Stoic Joker:

The only disk where I never gave done this fix is one that is mounted vertically with the power and SATA connectors on top.
-Shades (January 04, 2012, 08:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
OT:
That's the only position that's not allowed/recommended by most manufacturers :-\
-Ath (January 04, 2012, 08:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Ath:
At the risk of taking this thread too off-topic...that is the first time I hear of that, to be honest.-Shades (January 04, 2012, 12:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm a tad baffeled by that one myself. I've seen several manufacturers (HP, Dell, etc.) mount drives that way quite frequently. Especially the convertable desktops where it has two sets of feet to run standing up or lying down.

JavaJones:
J-Mac, nice one on the new Puget system! Let us know what you think of it (and your overall experience), I still haven't reported on mine, but I'm still loving it 2+ months later. :D

SBAC: Your BSODs could be Comodo, that's definitely something I'd check early on, but do seem potentially hardware-related. Run a memory scan (Memtest86+ is my recommendation). Also, did you actually move/change any hardware *inside* the case recently? If so you might have bumped something...

- Oshyan

40hz:
SBAC: Your BSODs could be Comodo, that's definitely something I'd check early on, but do seem potentially hardware-related. Run a memory scan (Memtest86+ is my recommendation). Also, did you actually move/change any hardware *inside* the case recently? If so you might have bumped something...
-JavaJones (January 04, 2012, 06:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

You could try some "quick and dirty" elimination rounds to save time with Memtest86+ since the in-depth scans take a while to run.

Try pulling out half your RAM and the see if you're running into the same problems. If so, replace those with the other half and see if the problem goes away. If that's the case, a suspect bad stick is in the first group. Then try alternate loading the sticks in the suspect group one at a time until you get your error.

Once you've identified the "most likely bad" stick, pull all the other memory out, install the bad one and run Memtest to confirm it's the culprit. It takes a lot less time to test one RAM stick than it would all four if you're reasonably sure you've identified the bad guy.

If the suspect stick passes Memtest's scan (or if you get the same errors no matter which RAM sticks are installed) then there's a chance there's a mobo or memory slot hardware issue. You can do a similar process of elimination round on the slots to see if one of those is giving you hassles. If it doesn't matter which slots are used, or what RAM is installed, then there's a good chance it's a board issue. If updated motherboard firmware and drivers don't fix the problem (you already checked for those, right?) you may have a flaky mobo. Bummer if so... Check and see if there's been a recall or announcement at the mfg's site. You may be able to get a free replacement if so.

Note: Due to the low-level integration of video, a spooky video card can also cause a huge number of weird problems that don't seem related to video. So I'd also suggest you run your manufacturer's video board diagnostic (if they offer one) before deciding your mobo is shot.

I recently donated a nice PC somebody gave me last summer to a non-profit. It was throwing BSODs every hour or two. The owners decided to toss it and buy a new one because a big store service department ("after extensive testing" $$) told them the motherboard was shot. It wasn't. Once the bum vid card got replaced it worked like a dream.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

J-Mac:
J-Mac, nice one on the new Puget system! Let us know what you think of it (and your overall experience), I still haven't reported on mine, but I'm still loving it 2+ months later. :D

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (January 04, 2012, 06:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oshyan

Don’t have it yet; ordered it late last week - should be shipped late this week or early next week. My current box just needs too much work. I do plan to overhaul itut it will take me longer than I want to be without a PC.   :)

Jim

JavaJones:
Or you could save all the swapping around, which is *hands-on* time, and just let Memtest run over night. ;) But I'll agree I've done my share of swapping things about for diagnoses purposes too. Usually when I'm impatient. ;D

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version