ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Upgrading RAM amount; please help me choose.

<< < (6/11) > >>

Shades:
@Ath:
At the risk of taking this thread too off-topic...that is the first time I hear of that, to be honest.

The system that contains this setup is my most stable PC (running Ubuntu 10.04 Server) to date. Actually, the drive rack from the server case in which the drive is mounted is oriented vertically by design (right above a cooling fan). There are 8 horizontal slots for a RAID setup (of which 4 are in use) in the adjacent section from this server case.

Anyway, I thought the setup to be smart with the design of the server case as it is. Server case is from a company called Meridian and was bought from a yearly auction held by the US embassy here in Paraguay. Paid about 10 USD for it at the time. Although the case was used for several years I thought it to be a good deal, because it is still running great after 5 years.   

Trying to go to the topic at hand:
Only the word Itunes already causes an allergic reaction with my person. I also believe that each time you start the application your I.Q. drops with 1 point. Permanently!

So it is not so hard to imagine that the damage it does on your PC will be devastating!

If I was allowed to compare It.n.s with a disease, it would be ebola!

J-Mac:
Hey Supe - why do you have iTunes installed? For an iPad or iPhone? I got an iPad for Christmas and I have nt yet installed iTunes. Don’t think I will either. So far I have been able to get most files I want on the iPad via DropBox. However each time I download a file from DropBox it (DB) stops showing my list of files! Page says "Loading" but the entire file list is missing. Next day I go to the DB site and it's fine. I select a handful of files again and download them. Then the file list disappears once again. I haven't figured this out yet.

Thanks!

Jim

superboyac:
Hey Supe - why do you have iTunes installed? For an iPad or iPhone? I got an iPad for Christmas and I have nt yet installed iTunes. Don’t think I will either. So far I have been able to get most files I want on the iPad via DropBox. However each time I download a file from DropBox it (DB) stops showing my list of files! Page says "Loading" but the entire file list is missing. Next day I go to the DB site and it's fine. I select a handful of files again and download them. Then the file list disappears once again. I haven't figured this out yet.

Thanks!

Jim
-J-Mac (January 04, 2012, 02:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I have the ipad1.  I don't know what you're problem is, but I've had lots of problems with things like dropbox, evernote, (cloud stuff) in that a lot of the wifi security can really restrict a lot of that stuff.  They have a stupid amount of security at my work, and even with all my special access profiles, I can't use my ipad or any tablet with dropbox and evernote because it gets blocked.  it's not the intent of IT here, but that's what happens.  Again, too much paranoia to the point where these devices become largely unusable.

The iOS can just be finicky at times.  Usually things connect really easily, but when there's a problem, it's difficult to troubleshoot it.  Apple is not troubleshooting friendly exactly because they are easy to use.

I'm surprised you haven't had to use itunes yet.  Didn't you have to connect it to itunes initially just to start using it?  I just jailbroke my ipad yesterday to ios5.01 so that I can use the comic reader mobi app.

I'm really just waiting for a nice windows tablet.  These androids and ios don't cut it for me

J-Mac:
I looked at them but there was no place to purchase one except Verizon or AT&T - and I am not going to do that. They always manage to try and control what I can do, trying to force me into buying it or subscribing to it through them. They can kiss my butt!

I have always rooted any smartphone to get around that stuff. My iPad 2 is wifi only, but I can use it at home and most anywhere else via Comcast's hotspots - they are all over this whole area; I have nt found a location where I can't log in to a Comcast hotspot.   :D

Jim

superboyac:
I looked at them but there was no place to purchase one except Verizon or AT&T - and I am not going to do that. They always manage to try and control what I can do, trying to force me into buying it or subscribing to it through them. They can kiss my butt!

I have always rooted any smartphone to get around that stuff. My iPad 2 is wifi only, but I can use it at home and most anywhere else via Comcast's hotspots - they are all over this whole area; I have nt found a location where I can't log in to a Comcast hotspot.   :D

Jim
-J-Mac (January 04, 2012, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting...I also don't use the data plan even though I have the 3g model (I needed the gps).  I was just thinking of paying time warner my ISP an additional $20 a month to carry around the mobile hotspot.  It's cheaper than a data plan and would work with all my devices.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version