ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Upgrading RAM amount; please help me choose.

<< < (4/11) > >>

40hz:
@SB - ok, looks like I'm outvoted on the 8Gb vs 16Gb argument by DC folk who are currently using 16, so please disregard my earlier questioning of how advantageous it would be.  :)

-40hz (January 03, 2012, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not a problem.  Knowing myself, I tend to go overboard initially anyway, so in the end, the advice was good.
-superboyac (January 03, 2012, 07:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Fair enough. I'll leave you to the "power users" - most of which those here are (as per JJ  ;)) - and which I definitely am not (as per 40hz  :P).  ;D

Onward! :Thmbsup:

40hz:
I also just noticed that when I rebooted and the part which shows all the hard drives coming up...that is usually very quick, this time it had to wait several seconds to detect the each drive.  Made me think I have a motherboard problem.
-superboyac (January 03, 2012, 07:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Check your CMOS battery. Oddball start ups and especially disk and other hardware detection issues are often caused by a dying battery. It's cheap and easy to replace so hopefully that's the source of the problem.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
Thanks!  I sure hope it's that easy.  I'll do that.

I'm having other odd problems.  System restore was turned off.  I tried turning it on and got an error.  A program that was working yesterday (a portable exe program) can't run today and gives me some .net errors.  I looked at my event log, saw some problems with wing ftp server (a really neat server solution I was trying out, but I just removed that), there were problems with Comodo's gaurd64.dll file.  And of course the unexpected shutdown error.  I have issues.

I swear, all this started a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to get the icecast streaming thing working.  I changed the audio settings, but I can't see why that would be the problem.  I had two sound cards, the motherboard one and my pro-audio one.  I unplugged the speaker from the motherboard one and put it on the pro-audio one.  i also changed the default sound to the pro-audio.  It seems like that's when everything started, but I've tweaked so many other things since then.

Well...this may call for a fresh Windows install.  But off to radioshack first...

J-Mac:
I ordered a new machine last week from Puget Systems and it will have 16GB RAM. Which I am concerned may not be enough!!

My new RAM Acronym: AMAYCPSIT  (As Much As You Can Possibly Stuff In There)

8)

Jim

superboyac:
J-mac!  I like the way you think...but my wallet don't!

I'm really having some windows problems.  I think it's Comodo.  They did a pretty major upgrade a few weeks ago and that's possibly when my problems started.  Comodo's latest update changed it's look pretty significantly, that's why I remember it.  Anyway, the event log is showing these things:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
cmdGuard
discache
MpFilter
spldr
Wanarpv6
--- End quote ---

also:
The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}

Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications. (this is regarding the file  C:\Windows\system32\guard64.dll

--- End quote ---
So I think either the problem is Comodo, or it's part of the problem.  I'll try removing/reinstalling it later this week.  The other one was the Wing FTP service possibly.  I also tried messing with some IIS or WEbdav stuff to try to get my ipad comic reader app (great app) working.   Ugh.  I always do this...I always play a little too much with things.  My curiosity is going to be the death of me, I'm sure of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version