ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Upgrading RAM amount; please help me choose.

<< < (2/11) > >>

40hz:
I can't think of anything anybody* would want to do on a PC that could justify more than 8Gb of RAM with today's current or projected technologies. And that includes running a few virtual machines simultaneously while also working with Photoshop and browsing the web. (You little multi-tasker, you! ;D)

About the only real (normal person) 'workstation' intensive process I can think of is CGI rendering. And if you're doing a lot of that, having more CPUs (as in a small cheap render farm) is far more efficient than having a single beefed-up workstation. And that includes those that support dual chips.

Suggestion: whenever I'm in doubt or looking for solid advice on RAM, I'll web over to Crucial Memory Products and use their Memory Advisor Tool found on the homepage. I have never been steered wrong with this tool. Also check out their forums. Some good discussions about RAM can be found there. (Note: usual caveats regarding forum recommendations apply.)

If you want to shop price before you buy, you can always take the specs from what Crucial recommends and look at comparable products from quality RAM providers like Kensington et al.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

* Note: I seem to recall a few DCers (Carol or f0dder maybe?) were running with 16Gb. Maybe they and some of 'those that have' could weigh-in on this? I'm curious too since I'll need to seriously start thinking about a new build sometime this year.

Renegade:
I can't think of anything anybody* would want to do on a PC that could justify more than 8Gb of RAM with today's current or projected technologies. And that includes running a few virtual machines simultaneously while also working with Photoshop and browsing the web. (You little multi-tasker, you! ;D)

About the only real (normal person) 'workstation' intensive process I can think of is CGI rendering. And if you're doing a lot of that, having more CPUs (as in a small cheap render farm) is far more efficient than having a single beefed-up workstation. And that includes those that support dual chips.

Suggestion: whenever I'm in doubt or looking for solid advice on RAM, I'll web over to Crucial Memory Products and use their Memory Advisor Tool found on the homepage. I have never been steered wrong with this tool. Also check out their forums. Some good discussions about RAM can be found there. (Note: usual caveats regarding forum recommendations apply.)

If you want to shop price before you buy, you can always take the specs from what Crucial recommends and look at comparable products from quality RAM providers like Kensington et al.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

* Note: I seem to recall a few DCers (Carol or f0dder maybe?) were running with 16Gb. Maybe they and some of 'those that have' could weigh-in on this? I'm curious too since I'll need to seriously start thinking about a new build sometime this year.
-40hz (January 03, 2012, 09:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I upgraded this box with 8 GB of memory to 16 GB total, and am MUCH happier.

Justifiable? Hell yeah~!

Web browsers are absolute computing vampires. The are the most evil, blood sucking fiends in the computing world when it comes to memory. Like just how does a browser manage to suck up a gig for a page? Beats me, but that's not important. That it actually does suck up that much is the point.

My only capacity issue now is storage. I really wish that SSDs were cheaper. I need to manage my storage very carefully.

But for memory, I'm much better off with 16 GB now.

I was having bad problems with 8 GB, and especially with Photoshop as it would puke out RAM memory error messages all the time. Now it only pukes out storage error messages from time to time. :)

daddydave:
I can't think of anything anybody* would want to do on a PC that could justify more than 8Gb of RAM with today's current or projected technologies. -40hz (January 03, 2012, 09:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've said something like this before, but this sounds so much like the old quote about 640K, I think I'll make myself a reminder to reopen this thread in 5 years.

ADDED
That said, the most memory I have had on a PC is 8GB, I had to downgrade to 4GB and I miss the extra memory although I pretty much downgraded every other component and no scientific method so I can't say that is the cause of all the slowness I have been experiencing.

Renegade:
I can't think of anything anybody* would want to do on a PC that could justify more than 8Gb of RAM with today's current or projected technologies. -40hz (January 03, 2012, 09:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've said something like this before, but this sounds so much like the old quote about 640K, I think I'll make myself a reminder to reopen this thread in 5 years.
-daddydave (January 03, 2012, 11:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

I generally forget stuff, so let me post ahead of time:

WHAT!?!?! You ONLY have 128 GB of RAM? WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!?!

;D

-Renegade
--- End quote ---

superboyac:
If I go for 8GB, can I mix the RAM, or do I have to replace everything from scratch?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version