topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:56 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Configuring Directory Opus for Fun and Profit  (Read 38600 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Configuring Directory Opus for Fun and Profit
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 12:55 PM »
you can save a dopus window - it's called a Lister Layout.
I use this a lot - different tabs / layouts / views for different jobs, for different requirements. (I also use Session Manager to do the same kind of thing in Firefox.)

You can make a shortcut to save a lister layout thus:
Prefs LAYOUTSAVE=single

Screenshot - 2012-01-07 , 19_32_57.png

on saving you get offered some options:

Screenshot - 2012-01-07 , 19_33_38.png

If you change your layout and want to save the changes, you need to save it again, which can only be done like file/save-as, i.e. use the shortcut above, type in or select the name of the current layout => message: "do you want to replace..." => click "Yes". A bit messy, but you get used to it (well, I did :p )

Lister layouts can be opened via the tray icon, or via
menu: Settings >Lister Layouts
But I use FARR to open them :)
You need to create a shortcut to the layout:
menu Settings >Lister Layouts >Edit Layouts
  • drag relevant layout to desktop to create a shortcut
  • shortcut has funny name Layout "XXXX".dcf (where XXXX was the saved layout name) - I change name to the saved name
  • move to a location that FARR can read (I add them to the Start Menu >Programs folder)

With the TEST layout example:

Screenshot - 2012-01-07 , 19_46_52.png
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 12:17 PM »
Just updated to 10.0.3.0

there was a mention of an "Other Manual" in the info when I was prompted to download. Once installed, I had to search a bit before I found it.
I like what I've read so far - it seems to be a very good (in-depth) introduction :up:

Directory Opus 10: Quick-Start Guide, Tips & Tricks
Or: The "Other Manual" to Directory Opus

"The guide walks you through Andy's personal configuration of Opus and discusses how and why he got there."

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 12:37 PM »
nice tip, tomos!  I will have to start using that.

I'm pretty proud of my work on the status bar (most of it is copied from others).  The 4 little bars, when files and folders are selected, give visual information about:
I0527_ 031.pngConfiguring Directory Opus for Fun and Profit

1) left-top bar shows how full a 700MB CD would be based on what is selected.  Red means I went over the limit.

2) left-bottom bar shows how full a 4.7GB DVD would be based on what is selected.  Red means I went over the limit.

3)right-top shows the percentage of space that the selected items are taking up on their own drive.  Let's say I'm trying to free up space, that bar gives me an idea if I've selected a lot or a little of the total amount of space being used on the current drive.

4) right-bottom shows how much space my selection will take up as a percentage of free space available on the destination drive.  So, let's say I want to move 500MB over to another drive, and there is 600MB of free space available on the other drive...then this bar will almost be full.  If it turns red, that means I can't move my selection over there.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 04:40 PM »
Directory Opus 10: Quick-Start Guide, Tips & Tricks
Or: The "Other Manual" to Directory Opus

"The guide walks you through Andy's personal configuration of Opus and discusses how and why he got there."

He gives a couple of toolbars which you can add to your install. (I never knew that was so easy...)
If you have a portable option on your dopus license, it might be worth trying out new stuff on portable version first. He changes some default shortcuts so they will clash & be shown twice - he does tell you how to clear it up (scroll down the page), but you may wish to just cherry-pick from the modified portable install.

Copying a button: when in customise mode, simply right-click & Copy
This will also copy a full menu or a three-way-button
Paste works the same way, also in customise mode.
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 04:56 PM »
[edit] for newer version of this image toolbar see reply # 43 below [/edit]

I've been working on photos this evening.
Seeing as I now know how to copy a toolbar, here's a couple of versions of the image toolbar.
I think the image toolbar comes by default, but this one is tidied up a lot -

• convert to PNG and GIF buttons combined - left click for PNG, right click for GIF
  • convert to JPG and BMP buttons combined - left click for JPG, right click for BMP
  • Viewer pane button added (as menu button) - various thumbnail sizes and [make]wallpaper added as "sub-items"
  • second version is streamlined - images removed, text shortened
  • slider for thumbnail size only shows in thumbnail view

version 2_0
Screenshot - 2012-01-13 , 22_34_44.png

version 2_1 [version 3]
Screenshot - 2012-01-13 , 21_54_13.png

you can keep the toolbar very small (normally it would go under the viewer as well) - click on the left side & drag it over and back till it settles where you want it.
Screenshot - 2012-01-13 , 21_55_06.pngConfiguring Directory Opus for Fun and Profit

edit/ I forgot to tell you how to add the toolbar :-[
From Andy's "Other Manual" dopus page (link in previous post) -

• Open a dual lister. In the path bar (quick selection: F4), paste exactly this: /buttons
• Move the two toolbar files [see below] into that folder (you will notice that it contains all the other toolbars).
• Right-click any place on your old toolbars and select Toolbars, then [select one to test - drag to wherever you want]

EDIT/ there's no shortcuts included

EDIT/ new version 3 does *not* change the last modified date when rotating an image

[edit] for newer version of this image toolbar see reply # 43 below [/edit]
Tom
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:56 AM by tomos, Reason: link to newer version »

sethyama

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 08:04 AM »
I've customized buttons to upload the selected file to my website and then put the full url of the uploaded file on my clipboard. It's handy for pasting images to forums and uploading files for friends.

Customize a button on the toolbar and put something like this:
Copy TO=ftp://MyUserName:[email protected]//httpdocs/images
Clipboard SET http://www.MyWebsite.com/images/{file}

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 05:20 AM »
EDIT/ new version 3 does *not* change the last modified date when rotating an image

I modified the images toolbar so that it now does *not* change the last modified date when rotating an image.
Download from quoted post above.
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 05:11 AM »
DOpus function to emulate maketree/ZeroZipper

Creates the zero length files/folder structure in the destination lister and then moves it into a 7-Zip archive - on my machine it did 27272 files/223 folders in about 20 seconds, (to RAM or HDD).
Tom

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 05:19 AM »
DOH!  I forgot this thread existed  :-[

Can one of the mods move my post to here?

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2012, 04:21 PM »
@Innuendo
I am sorry I will not quote all your thoughts parts (too much hassle) for TC plugins developers base. I will also give my thoughts though:

I wrote few plugins for TC and all I can say is that it seemed quite easy for the level of my C++ skills. I've tried to write something for IrfanView and DO in the past but they were too hard. I know there are many great coders out there but for C++ n00b like me - it was darn easy to have my own plugs. They are not bug free or complicated but - hey - they work at least :)

As for great wave of Easter Devs: for me it is understandable way of living. If you have a choice to pay more for something that works or less for something that almost work (but with your little effort it ends up the same)… you chose second option. This is how whole generation (or two?) was raised. While The West could just buy things, The East had Adam Słodowy to listen to instead. Many people made their tools and I think that's the way for any developing county. Capitalists killed their creativity ;)

As an example:
In eighties, one of my friends (as a kid) was in Germany on a trip and he brought back "the best in town" hi-fi set (lot of speakers, amplifiers, etc)… for almost free. How he did it? Hi father found it in dumpster, thrown by some folk who said it is definitely broken. Took for investigation and it appeared that PowerOff button was not working due to bad solding. One tiny spot needed to be fix. That's all. I know that on some levels it is unacceptable to dig into garbage but not for all of us, especially for these who cannot afford it (no matter is it for lack of money or lack of goods).

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2012, 02:04 AM »
Updated my original post but repeated here.

Forgot to take spaces in names into account, this fixes that.

Code: Text [Select]
  1. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  2. <usercommand backcol="none" hide_from_menu="no" textcol="none">
  3.         <label>ZeroArc</label>
  4.         <tip>Produce a file tree archive</tip>
  5.         <user_label>ZeroArc</user_label>
  6.         <icon1>#default:newzipfile</icon1>
  7.         <function type="normal">
  8.                 <instruction>@runmode hide</instruction>
  9.                 <instruction>@nofilenamequoting</instruction>
  10.                 <instruction>@sync:robocopy &quot;{filepath|noterm}&quot; &quot;{destpath$}{file}&quot; /CREATE /E /np /nfl /ndl /njh /njs</instruction>
  11.                 <instruction>COPY MOVE ARCHIVE=.7z,KEEPFOLDER &quot;{destpath$}{file}&quot; AS &quot;{file}&quot;</instruction>
  12.         </function>
  13. </usercommand>

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2013, 04:34 AM »
Here's another one from 4wd
DONE: Change (sub) folder(s) date based on newest [or] oldest file in the folder

and
here's dcwul62's instructions for how to add it to the conext menu - or to a button in Dopus:

Screenshot - 2013-09-06 , 11_30_49.png
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2013, 01:37 PM »
I'd forgotten this one - cause I never really used it ;-)

I want to keep two panes showing the same location - as I navigate in one -
e.g.
Documents | Documents
on the left pane, I move down to Documents/Expenses - the other panel updates to show the same:
Expenses | Expenses

How to:
under the icon 'Folder Options' => Navigation Lock

Screenshot - 2013-11-04 , 20_22_03.png

currently using it with thumbnails on one side, details on the other. While being able to look at the images, it makes locating files by name much easier. Cant think of other uses off-hand but I'm sure they're there.

Note:
I cant find it in the menu; just checked my laptop, which install is closer to the default version: it's not in the menu there either.
I think everything should be available in the menu - it's easy to edit a toolbar, remove a 'button' and forget it even exists as a capability. I know, I've done it :-\
For things more rarely used, I find it much easier to look through a menu. Because of that, the version 10 update hid a lot of the power of dopus for me - I do find I use the range of that power less than before.
Tom

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2013, 05:08 AM »
You can also right-click the tab and choose Link, followed by Slave:

2013-11-05 21_57_17-K__.png

2013-11-05 21_58_29-K__.png

Works slightly different to Navigation Lock, if the folder doesn't exist in the Slave pane then it changes to be the same as the Master.  Also, Slaving only affects a pair of tabs, others will remain independent - so you could have multiple pairs of Master/Slave tabs within a lister.

2013-11-05 22_06_44-K__.png

More about it here.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 05:31 AM »
^thanks 4wd
I did discover that the 'Navigation Lock' attempts to work for all tabs, and gives a warning if you change to another tab showing a different location.

Trying 'Link Tab' now:

Linked tabs

In a dual-display Lister, a folder tab on one side of the Lister can be linked with a tab on the other side. When two tabs are linked, selecting one in the Lister to make it active automatically activates the linked tab too. Linked tabs are displayed in different colors from unlinked tabs, and you can configure these colors from the Display / Colors and Fonts page in preferences.

Making one a slave tab, means it will follow the location in the other tab - but not vice-versa. That suits my needs nicely, thanks again :up:

Edit (I never read the manual properly/fully!)
You may choose to make both tabs in a pair slaves, in which case changing the folder in either tab will also change the folder in the other, or you may choose to only make one of the two takes a slave, in which case changes to the non-slave tab will affect both tabs while changes to the slave tab will only affect it.
Tom

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2014, 08:12 PM »
Just in case no one's noticed, DOpus 11 is available as a public beta, (and has been for a month or more).

Quite stable, haven't had it crash or cause any damage yet, (been using it since beta 3, I think).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 08:38 PM by 4wd, Reason: Modified link »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2014, 03:59 AM »
Just in case no one's noticed, DOpus 11 is available as a public beta, (and has been for a month or more).

Quite stable, haven't had it crash or cause any damage yet, (been using it since beta 3, I think).

thanks for the heads up 4wd - it sounds interesting:

Toolbars are now local to each Lister
Folder Formats can automatically turn on a toolbar (or a toolbar set)
View Modes can automatically turn on a toolbar/set
Floating toolbars are independent of Lister toolbars
Context Menus can be configured in the same way as Toolbars

In a dual display Lister each file display has its own favorites menu and fully-functional breadcrumbs path field
link
-
Now they give us this customisability, I'd love it they made it easier to open lister layouts. And I'd have a few ideas for tab interface (and the viewer, although their response was negative there in the past), must go see if they're still open to requests on this...
Tom

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2014, 04:19 PM »

Been using it since the first beta myself & 15 minutes after loading that first beta I decided it's going to be a day one upgrade for me. Just like you I haven't had any crashes or weirdness with it, either. Mr. Potter does good work.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2014, 06:49 AM »
New version of the image toolbar, based on the one above.
I added the "Sort by" buttons from the Dopus 11 images toolbar.

with viewer on:

Screenshot - 2014-03-20 , 12_18_26.pngConfiguring Directory Opus for Fun and Profit

with the viewer off:

Screenshot - 2014-03-20 , 12_34_44.png

• Buttons on the left convert according to whether left or right-clicked
  • Rotate L|R seems clear enough (this and above greyed out when no file selected)
  • "Sort by" text is a label button - makes for large spacing between it and the next, but still seemed the best solution. (I'll probably remove the label myself). Current sort is highlighted.
  • See notes below re setup

NOTEs:
# the toolbar initially went under the statusbar - I had to go to "Status Bar" in prefs, and select "keep at bottom of the lister".
# in Dopus 11 the images toolbar appears by default when you change view to thumbnails. To change this, search for "Toolbars" in prefs, and under File display mode/Toolbars change toolbar that will show when Thumbnail view is used (also see location). FWIW I prefer to have the toolbar showing all the time - I like being able to see the sort at a glance.
Screenshot - 2014-03-20 , 12_21_39.pngConfiguring Directory Opus for Fun and Profit
# follow first link in this post if you need help adding toolbar - or read the manual  : )

There are *no* shortcuts in the toolbar - related ones suggested:
See also post about shortcuts to toggle/change sort;
and post about toggling Thumbnail/Detail views

Toolbar attached - I zipped it as not accepted otherwise.
Tom
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:16 AM by tomos »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2014, 08:06 AM »
EDIT: Also, whatever you do, make sure you add a keyboard shortcut to toggle flat-view (Command: Set FLATVIEW=MixedNoFolders,Toggle)! So useful!

thanks for that tip :up:
Set FLATVIEW=Toggle used to show the mixed flat-view with folders, now (v.11) it shows grouped (like a tree view).
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2016, 10:20 AM »
RE rotating images in Dopus:
the default button in the image toolbar is:
Code: Text [Select]
  1. Image ROTATE=90 HERE REPLACE
  2. @nodeselect

but it compresses the image:
5.36MB => 4.74MB in a test

I'm pretty sure it didnt used to do this:
I'm on version 12.2
(will update to 12.3 and test again)
Anyone know if the button text needs to be changed or something?

before & after shots:

Screenshot - 2016-12-21 , 17_16_48.jpgConfiguring Directory Opus for Fun and ProfitScreenshot - 2016-12-21 , 17_17_23.jpgConfiguring Directory Opus for Fun and Profit
Tom

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2016, 06:23 PM »
but it compresses the image:
5.36MB => 4.74MB in a test

I'm pretty sure it didnt used to do this:

Do a lossless rotate in XnView or similar and then compare the two images using Beyond Compare or similar.

It may be that DOpus has removed the metadata and included thumbnail which might account for the size difference.

According to Leo back in 2009, DOpus will do lossless rotate before attempting something else but it depends on dimensions.

I've seen the same thing happen using XnView, if the dimensions aren't conducive to lossless rotation then sometimes one side gets trimmed by ~8 pixels.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2016, 01:58 AM »
^ will update Dopus and report in their forums
Tom

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006