ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Configuring Directory Opus for Fun and Profit

(1/10) > >>

Innuendo:
Well, I haven't figured out the 'for profit' part yet, but in the grand scheme of things I don't feel too bad about that because I haven't really figured out the 'for fun' part yet, either. :)

I finally jumped on the Directory Opus bandwagon via the deal I posted in the Deals & Discounts sub-forum (plenty of views, but no replies. Maybe everyone here who has ever been remotely tempted to buy it already owns it? Maybe people are afraid to play the exchange rate game?) partly because the DOpus authors have finally caved on their long-time insistence that they'd never write archive plugins for either RAR and ZIP (and let's face it, their support for RAR in the past has been very weak and very much and after-thought) & because of a rising trend in the Total Commander community that tells me its users are very much stuck in the past and very much want to remain there.

So, with an open mind (and wallet) I'm hitching my wagon to DOpus's star for a bit to see how the other half lives. I do know there are a lot of DOpus users on the forums here & I thought it might be a nice for there to be a place where everyone can share their tips & tricks. While people can post their complete configurations if they'd like, I was thinking more along the lines of little gems of knowledge where when you configured that button or menu there was an, "Omigawd, why didn't I think of doing something like this ages ago! Things just got a lot easier!"

I'm slowly working my way through the ginormous resource that is the DOPus Resource Centre and will eventually get through it all. I'd just like to hear everyone's must-have tweaks that might inspire the rest of us.

hpearce:
well, you can get many good ideas on the dopus forum itself ... it is a busy forum with about 2 people (admin) answering questions regularly .. I highly recommend taking a peek at it from time to time particularly for new users.

It offers excellent support.

cyberdiva:
Innuendo, I assume that when you say the DOpus Resource Centre, you mean the forum.  If so, you've found a great source of information.  I don't think they have a Tips & Tricks section, but any time I've wanted to know how to do something, either I've found the answer by searching the forum or I've asked a question and had it answered knowledgeably. 

Innuendo:
To both of you, yes, I meant the forum and it's an excellent resource with a wealth of information. However, it's purpose is more suited when you know what you want to ask. However, if one is just looking for ideas & don't have any specific questions to ask...well, that's why I created this topic.

If people shared the clever ways they have configured DOpus, others may find something they need, but never knew they needed it. :)

4wd:
I don't use anywhere near DOpus' full power on Windows machines.
The reason (SFW)The Amiga version is still far and away the most powerful version, (AFAIAC), purely because of ARexx and the fact that a very good percentage of programs had an interface allowing you bring, (for example), 5 different programs into one cohesive conglomeration.  Most of my customisation was done using ARexx and AFAICT Windows has nothing like its simplicity as an IPLw that allowed even idiots like me to do wondrous things :D

But here's just a couple or so buttons I've found useful.

Mount & Dismount a Directory as a drive, (useful for installers that think they need to be in the root of a drive):
Spoiler<?xml version="1.0"?>
<button backcol="none" display="label" textcol="none">
   <label>Mount Dir as T:</label>
   <tip>Mount Dir as T:</tip>
   <icon1>#newcommand</icon1>
   <function type="normal">
      <instruction>@dirsonly</instruction>
      <instruction>subst T: {file}</instruction>
   </function>
</button>
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<button backcol="none" display="label" textcol="none">
   <label>Dismount Dir</label>
   <tip>Dismount Dir</tip>
   <icon1>#newcommand</icon1>
   <function type="normal">
      <instruction>subst T: /D</instruction>
   </function>
</button>

Display network groups available, (eg. WORKGROUP, MSHOME):
Ooppss!, I got that wrong - this will actually display the computers available in a the group you're in.  Add another 'Go Up' instruction to it to see the network groups.
<button display="both">
   <label>Network</label>
   <tip>Network</tip>
   <icon1>57</icon1>
   <function type="normal">
      <instruction>Go &quot;\\127.0.0.1&quot;</instruction>
      <instruction>Go Up</instruction>
   </function>
</button>

Drive buttons, (yes pretty boring), left-click for left side, right-click for right side - it will put the lister into Dual pane if it isn't:
<button display="icon" separate="yes">
   <label>Drive Buttons</label>
   <tip>Automatically adds a button for each of the drives in your system to the toolbar/menu</tip>
   <icon1>116</icon1>
   <function type="normal">
      <instruction>Go DRIVEBUTTONS=fixed,multifunc</instruction>
   </function>
</button>

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version