ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to obtain nearly complete anonymity while online

<< < (3/4) > >>

IainB:
@Renegade: Thanks for those links.
Reading your post made me check up on my system security.
Over 3 years ago, I had got into the habit of using OpenDNS as a standard precautionary measure, and I would recommend that as a basic step for anyone.
However, I suspect that what Stoic Joker says could be very true:
... But it has crossed my mind more than once (as the Empire gains traction...).
-Stoic Joker (January 02, 2012, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
- and it does seem to be gaining traction.

It would always be prudent to avoid the creeping hand of corporate and statist totalitarian control of the Internet. You only need to look at what has been occurring in China, Iran, Pakistan and other totalitarian regimes to see where that control would like to take things. In Western countries it seems to be already active/apparent.

IainB:
This looks very interesting for OpenDNS users: DNSCrypt – Critical, fundamental, and about time.

Edvard:
Mac only :facepalm:
(Although the code as it is apparently compiles on BSD and Linux, and a Windows version is coming soon.)

I use OpenDNS and install it on every computer I am given to "fix".
Very happy with their service, no complaints
Also, this:
http://blog.opendns.com/2011/11/08/an-open-letter-to-congress-about-sopa-and-protect-ip/

40hz:
This looks very interesting for OpenDNS users: DNSCrypt – Critical, fundamental, and about time.
-IainB (January 03, 2012, 05:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Does sound good. Too bad it's still Macintosh only. *sigh*

I use OpenDNS and install it on every computer I am given to "fix".
Very happy with their service, no complaints
-Edvard (January 03, 2012, 06:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Pretty much what I do too! Wonder why everyone doesn't.  :Thmbsup:

Also, this:
http://blog.opendns.com/2011/11/08/an-open-letter-to-congress-about-sopa-and-protect-ip/
-Edvard (January 03, 2012, 06:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

The only problem with Dave Ulevitch's letter was when he said this:

It’s likely that if SOPA and PIPA existed when I started my company, we would have
incorporated outside of the United States and all of the jobs and investment that I have put
into the economy would have been taken elsewhere. I expect many businesses will make
the decision to incorporate elsewhere should this legislation pass and it’s possible that
existing corporations will relocate to more entrepreneur-friendly countries.
--- End quote ---

I say that because arguing about the loss of a relatively small company's investment and employment numbers - when Congress is faced with alleged losses (real or imagined) from piracy to an existing multi-billion dollar industry that's slipping anonymous tens of millions into political campaigns for the upcoming presidential election - is akin to spitting on a bonfire with the intent of putting it out.

Don't count on Congress to be forward looking when money or jobs are at stake. They are far more likely to subsidize or bail out obsolete or corrupt industries than they are to do the right thing and allow necessary economic changes to take place. 'Kicking the can,' as far down the street as possible, is a time honored tradition in American politics.

One of the most recurrent arguments used by obsolete businesses is (in a sniveling whine): "But Senator! It will cost our nation jobs! You're talking about taking the food off the tables of hard working Americans!"

Usually it's immediately followed with a hushed and indignant: "And may I remind you Senator - these people vote."

Faced with the prospect of losing businesses like OpenDNS, as opposed to giving the wildly spending ($500M+ per feature film) movie industry a little kick in its ass, it's a small guess which way their votes are going to go.

We are living in times of political hysteria and hyperbole. Noble causes - nay, even common sense - has largely gone out of vogue in most political circles. And these days, rocking the boat is seldom seen as beneficial to political careers or careerists.
 :-\

Deozaan:
Also note, some BitTorrent software, (eg. ­­µTorrent), will allow you to use just the IP filter lists without having to run a separate filtering program.  The filter list can be updated by using IPFilterUpdater.
-4wd (January 02, 2012, 08:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is there a way to know if the IP filter is being used? I ran the IPFilterUpdater installer thingy and it extracted a bunch of files and then closed.-Deozaan (January 03, 2012, 03:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

It would have installed the batch file with a link on your Start Menu called David Moore->IPFilterUpdater

When you run it, it'll connect to SourceForge for a list of mirrors and then you can choose one from the dropdown list and hit GO!
-4wd (January 03, 2012, 05:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting. It didn't create a desktop shortcut nor did it make any links in the Start Menu. Maybe I need to re-run it as administrator to give it permission to make those links.

Thanks for the help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version