ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to obtain nearly complete anonymity while online

<< < (2/4) > >>

4wd:
So PeerBlock is reputable? Anyone here running it? I'm considering doing so...
-kyrathaba (January 02, 2012, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Millions of P2P pirates can't be wrong.......AARRGGGHHH me hearties!!!

40hz:
So PeerBlock is reputable? Anyone here running it? I'm considering doing so...
-kyrathaba (January 02, 2012, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've run it for a few months, more as a science fair project than anything else. It does what it says - which is block things. It's like an ad blocker in that respect. It uses lists. It's benign in that it doesn't redirect. It just blocks. How well it can protect you from getting caught "liberating" media assets for personal consumption is anybody's guess. But it does seem to accomplish it's goals more often than not.

Since I'm mildly nervous about using torrents, I've got it installed, even though I don't use them for much other than obtaining giant BSD and Linux ISOs. Works fine for me.
 :)

4wd:
Also note, some BitTorrent software, (eg. ­­µTorrent), will allow you to use just the IP filter lists without having to run a separate filtering program.  The filter list can be updated by using IPFilterUpdater.

Deozaan:
Also note, some BitTorrent software, (eg. ­­µTorrent), will allow you to use just the IP filter lists without having to run a separate filtering program.  The filter list can be updated by using IPFilterUpdater.
-4wd (January 02, 2012, 08:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is there a way to know if the IP filter is being used? I ran the IPFilterUpdater installer thingy and it extracted a bunch of files and then closed.

But how do I know it's working? I do have IP Filtering enabled in uTorrent. Is that all I needed? How can I be sure?

4wd:
Also note, some BitTorrent software, (eg. ­­µTorrent), will allow you to use just the IP filter lists without having to run a separate filtering program.  The filter list can be updated by using IPFilterUpdater.
-4wd (January 02, 2012, 08:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is there a way to know if the IP filter is being used? I ran the IPFilterUpdater installer thingy and it extracted a bunch of files and then closed.-Deozaan (January 03, 2012, 03:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

It would have installed the batch file with a link on your Start Menu called David Moore->IPFilterUpdater

When you run it, it'll connect to SourceForge for a list of mirrors and then you can choose one from the dropdown list and hit GO!

But how do I know it's working? I do have IP Filtering enabled in uTorrent. Is that all I needed? How can I be sure?

--- End quote ---

Look at the log as it scrolls past, it will have lines like: IpFilter blocked peer at x.x.x.x  (If you want to check then look at the peers connected to your torrents, that blocked IP shouldn't appear.)

You also need to restart µTorrent to get it to load the new ipfilter.dat - NOTE: By default IPFilterUpdater puts the file in %APPDATA%\uTorrent, (or where ever it is), IF you run µTorrent as a portable program, (ie. the settings files are in the same directory as the executable), then the ipfilter.dat needs to be moved to that directory.

Also note, there may be a 'gotcha' :)  You may have to edit ipfilter.dat to allow any IP that you use to connect to µTorrent remotely, (eg. 192.168.x.x).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version