topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to obtain nearly complete anonymity while online  (Read 11095 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
How to obtain nearly complete anonymity while online
« on: January 02, 2012, 11:20 AM »
A friend posted this link on Facebook, and I thought some people might like it:

http://txtbbs.vacau....nymity-while-online/

We are at a cross roads right now in internet freedom where the US is at risk of having its internet heavily monitored and blocked at times. I’m writing this article with hopes that it will help some people be free online.

We are going to be looking at several methods of getting off the grid so to speak online.

• Tor, i2p, and Freenet – Alternatives to the internet.
  • Using alternate DNS servers to circumvent DNS logging.
  • Using PeerBlock to block anti P2P and anti-internet freedom organisations.

Some good info in there.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to obtain nearly complete anonymity while online
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 12:26 PM »
RonCobbPoliceStateUSA.pngHow to obtain nearly complete anonymity while online

@Ren - Nice find! Some good stuff in there. 8) :Thmbsup:

Just be careful when selecting alternate DNS servers. No solution is ever perfect. Be sure you know where they're pointing and who you're dealing with. There are many compromised and nefarious pseudo-DNS servers out there. I'd guess a good many more than there are 'good guy' servers trying to help you protect your privacy. And even the 'good guy' DNS servers can be compromised or hijacked every so often.

Just something to keep in mind. :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 12:38 PM »
Using alternate DNS servers to circumvent DNS logging.

Interesting that the first two DNS servers that they list are OpenDNS's ... I usually either use them (for an I control filtering setup), or let the default domain DNS forwarding setup use the internet root servers. Oddly I very seldom (read never) have trouble getting places.

I haven't made a move toward the other stuff yet ... But it has crossed my mind more than once (as the Empire gains traction...).

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 02:13 PM »
I haven't made a move toward the other stuff yet ... But it has crossed my mind more than once (as the Empire gains traction...).

Definitely do PeerBlock if nothing else. Overhead/latency is negligible. I'm amazed at the number of P2P links PeerBlock jumps on.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 05:52 PM »
So PeerBlock is reputable? Anyone here running it? I'm considering doing so...

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 06:28 PM »

Millions of P2P pirates can't be wrong.......AARRGGGHHH me hearties!!!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 07:09 PM »

I've run it for a few months, more as a science fair project than anything else. It does what it says - which is block things. It's like an ad blocker in that respect. It uses lists. It's benign in that it doesn't redirect. It just blocks. How well it can protect you from getting caught "liberating" media assets for personal consumption is anybody's guess. But it does seem to accomplish it's goals more often than not.

Since I'm mildly nervous about using torrents, I've got it installed, even though I don't use them for much other than obtaining giant BSD and Linux ISOs. Works fine for me.
 :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 08:26 PM »
Also note, some BitTorrent software, (eg. ­­µTorrent), will allow you to use just the IP filter lists without having to run a separate filtering program.  The filter list can be updated by using IPFilterUpdater.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 03:53 AM »
Also note, some BitTorrent software, (eg. ­­µTorrent), will allow you to use just the IP filter lists without having to run a separate filtering program.  The filter list can be updated by using IPFilterUpdater.

Is there a way to know if the IP filter is being used? I ran the IPFilterUpdater installer thingy and it extracted a bunch of files and then closed.

But how do I know it's working? I do have IP Filtering enabled in uTorrent. Is that all I needed? How can I be sure?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 05:10 AM »
Also note, some BitTorrent software, (eg. ­­µTorrent), will allow you to use just the IP filter lists without having to run a separate filtering program.  The filter list can be updated by using IPFilterUpdater.

Is there a way to know if the IP filter is being used? I ran the IPFilterUpdater installer thingy and it extracted a bunch of files and then closed.

It would have installed the batch file with a link on your Start Menu called David Moore->IPFilterUpdater

When you run it, it'll connect to SourceForge for a list of mirrors and then you can choose one from the dropdown list and hit GO!

uTorrent IPFilter Updater 1.0.0.png

But how do I know it's working? I do have IP Filtering enabled in uTorrent. Is that all I needed? How can I be sure?

Look at the log as it scrolls past, it will have lines like: IpFilter blocked peer at x.x.x.x  (If you want to check then look at the peers connected to your torrents, that blocked IP shouldn't appear.)

You also need to restart µTorrent to get it to load the new ipfilter.dat - NOTE: By default IPFilterUpdater puts the file in %APPDATA%\uTorrent, (or where ever it is), IF you run µTorrent as a portable program, (ie. the settings files are in the same directory as the executable), then the ipfilter.dat needs to be moved to that directory.

µTorrent log.png

Also note, there may be a 'gotcha' :)  You may have to edit ipfilter.dat to allow any IP that you use to connect to µTorrent remotely, (eg. 192.168.x.x).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:26 AM by 4wd »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 05:24 AM »
@Renegade: Thanks for those links.
Reading your post made me check up on my system security.
Over 3 years ago, I had got into the habit of using OpenDNS as a standard precautionary measure, and I would recommend that as a basic step for anyone.
However, I suspect that what Stoic Joker says could be very true:
... But it has crossed my mind more than once (as the Empire gains traction...).
- and it does seem to be gaining traction.

It would always be prudent to avoid the creeping hand of corporate and statist totalitarian control of the Internet. You only need to look at what has been occurring in China, Iran, Pakistan and other totalitarian regimes to see where that control would like to take things. In Western countries it seems to be already active/apparent.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 05:37 AM »
This looks very interesting for OpenDNS users: DNSCrypt – Critical, fundamental, and about time.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:52 AM by IainB, Reason: Oops. Mistaken edit. Now corrected. Made a new post on this point, below. »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 06:48 AM »
Mac only :facepalm:
(Although the code as it is apparently compiles on BSD and Linux, and a Windows version is coming soon.)

I use OpenDNS and install it on every computer I am given to "fix".
Very happy with their service, no complaints
Also, this:
http://blog.opendns....sopa-and-protect-ip/

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 08:59 AM »
This looks very interesting for OpenDNS users: DNSCrypt – Critical, fundamental, and about time.

Does sound good. Too bad it's still Macintosh only. *sigh*

I use OpenDNS and install it on every computer I am given to "fix".
Very happy with their service, no complaints

Pretty much what I do too! Wonder why everyone doesn't.  :Thmbsup:

Also, this:
http://blog.opendns....sopa-and-protect-ip/

The only problem with Dave Ulevitch's letter was when he said this:

It’s likely that if SOPA and PIPA existed when I started my company, we would have
incorporated outside of the United States and all of the jobs and investment that I have put
into the economy would have been taken elsewhere. I expect many businesses will make
the decision to incorporate elsewhere should this legislation pass and it’s possible that
existing corporations will relocate to more entrepreneur-friendly countries.

I say that because arguing about the loss of a relatively small company's investment and employment numbers - when Congress is faced with alleged losses (real or imagined) from piracy to an existing multi-billion dollar industry that's slipping anonymous tens of millions into political campaigns for the upcoming presidential election - is akin to spitting on a bonfire with the intent of putting it out.

Don't count on Congress to be forward looking when money or jobs are at stake. They are far more likely to subsidize or bail out obsolete or corrupt industries than they are to do the right thing and allow necessary economic changes to take place. 'Kicking the can,' as far down the street as possible, is a time honored tradition in American politics.

One of the most recurrent arguments used by obsolete businesses is (in a sniveling whine): "But Senator! It will cost our nation jobs! You're talking about taking the food off the tables of hard working Americans!"

Usually it's immediately followed with a hushed and indignant: "And may I remind you Senator - these people vote."

Faced with the prospect of losing businesses like OpenDNS, as opposed to giving the wildly spending ($500M+ per feature film) movie industry a little kick in its ass, it's a small guess which way their votes are going to go.

We are living in times of political hysteria and hyperbole. Noble causes - nay, even common sense - has largely gone out of vogue in most political circles. And these days, rocking the boat is seldom seen as beneficial to political careers or careerists.
 :-\

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:05 AM by 40hz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 11:37 AM »
Also note, some BitTorrent software, (eg. ­­µTorrent), will allow you to use just the IP filter lists without having to run a separate filtering program.  The filter list can be updated by using IPFilterUpdater.

It would have installed the batch file with a link on your Start Menu called David Moore->IPFilterUpdater

When you run it, it'll connect to SourceForge for a list of mirrors and then you can choose one from the dropdown list and hit GO!

Interesting. It didn't create a desktop shortcut nor did it make any links in the Start Menu. Maybe I need to re-run it as administrator to give it permission to make those links.

Thanks for the help.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 06:01 PM »
Interesting. It didn't create a desktop shortcut nor did it make any links in the Start Menu. Maybe I need to re-run it as administrator to give it permission to make those links.

Maybe I should have mentioned that all my torrenting/Usenet is done on a headless XP Pro system so that's the only system that IPFilterUpdater is installed on.

It sounds like you're trying to install on W7, sorry, can't help you there :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 09:15 PM »

Maybe I should have mentioned that all my torrenting/Usenet is done on a headless XP Pro system so that's the only system that IPFilterUpdater is installed on.

It sounds like you're trying to install on W7, sorry, can't help you there :)

Yes. Windows 7x64.

I ran the extractor again with admin permissions and it created a desktop shortcut as it should. (But didn't create a start menu shortcut that I can see.) Thanks again. :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 01:52 AM »
I just checked, and it seems that this is still only available for Mac OpenDNS users: DNSCrypt – Critical, fundamental, and about time.

Keen to get my hands on this for Win7...    :-*