ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to obtain nearly complete anonymity while online

(1/4) > >>

Renegade:
A friend posted this link on Facebook, and I thought some people might like it:

http://txtbbs.vacau.com/2011/12/31/how-to-obtain-nearly-complete-anonymity-while-online/

We are at a cross roads right now in internet freedom where the US is at risk of having its internet heavily monitored and blocked at times. I’m writing this article with hopes that it will help some people be free online.

We are going to be looking at several methods of getting off the grid so to speak online.

* Tor, i2p, and Freenet – Alternatives to the internet.

* Using alternate DNS servers to circumvent DNS logging.

* Using PeerBlock to block anti P2P and anti-internet freedom organisations.
--- End quote ---

Some good info in there.

40hz:
How to obtain nearly complete anonymity while online

@Ren - Nice find! Some good stuff in there. 8) :Thmbsup:

Just be careful when selecting alternate DNS servers. No solution is ever perfect. Be sure you know where they're pointing and who you're dealing with. There are many compromised and nefarious pseudo-DNS servers out there. I'd guess a good many more than there are 'good guy' servers trying to help you protect your privacy. And even the 'good guy' DNS servers can be compromised or hijacked every so often.

Just something to keep in mind. :)

Stoic Joker:
Using alternate DNS servers to circumvent DNS logging.-Renegade (January 02, 2012, 11:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting that the first two DNS servers that they list are OpenDNS's ... I usually either use them (for an I control filtering setup), or let the default domain DNS forwarding setup use the internet root servers. Oddly I very seldom (read never) have trouble getting places.

I haven't made a move toward the other stuff yet ... But it has crossed my mind more than once (as the Empire gains traction...).

40hz:
I haven't made a move toward the other stuff yet ... But it has crossed my mind more than once (as the Empire gains traction...).
-Stoic Joker (January 02, 2012, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Definitely do PeerBlock if nothing else. Overhead/latency is negligible. I'm amazed at the number of P2P links PeerBlock jumps on.

kyrathaba:
So PeerBlock is reputable? Anyone here running it? I'm considering doing so...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version