ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any issues about burning long filenames in Nero? (or any burning software)

<< < (3/3)

superboyac:
aargh!  I've thought about raring the files, but the way I use these files would make it a hassle.  You see, I'm talking about backing up mp3 files.  I'll explain my process and see if there are any suggestions:

First, I have one directory per artist, and inside the directory, all of the files are listed.  So there is only really one directory, no subdirectory for albums or anything, because of the way I name my files, which is "artist - album - track number - title", so the files sort themselves alphabetically.

Before burning the files, I look through the files in Tag & Rename, which highlights all the files that are longer than the joliet (or whatever) standard, and I usually truncate those albums by reducing the album title to its acronym.  Then, I burn the cd.

I'd like to NOT have to go through the step to manually truncate all the files.  I don't want the files truncated at all, and furthermore, I don't want to zip or rar it, because after burning the files, I pass the dvd to MP3 Collector to catalog the songs.  And when I later go to retrieve the files, I'd rather not have to go through the whole unarchiving bit.

I read kimmchi's link about burning hell, and some of the people mentioned some of the problems related to long filenames may be related to harware issues.  That worries me.  If it was just a matter of OS compatibility, it wouldn't bother me.  Like I said, I don't care if I can't read the disc in a Windows 98 machine.  As long as I can read it in my current XP machine, and whatever next Windows version is in the future.  I mean, I assume the next Windows will be able to read any file from Windows XP.  In other words, I'm not really interested in backwards compatibilty, which seems to be the main issue when burning long filenames (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Here's a more general question...is the primary reason for the long filename issues due to backwards OS compatability issues and nothing more?  Is this whole thing just so that we can read files on older machines?  For me, that would be silly, because in all my life, I have never needed to go and read something in an older machine.  If this is true, please let me know so I can free myself of this unnecessary restriction forever!

mouser:
i know there are alternate cd burning modes/formats in nero (UDF?), maybe some dont have this filename limit..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version