ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

How do I Start a Ribbon Project?

(1/3) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Okay, first of all, yes ... I have lost my mind.

I'm thinking/debating/toying with starting a project based on the Ribbon UI style interface. However... Historically I have always worked in straight WinAPI C++ (with a little pure C). So I've not a friggin clue how to even start a project based on the newer code forms.

Note: The project in question will be for integrating several disparate internal systems into one concise interface to speed up access to all of the relevant business data for the staff (e.g. I'm looking at having to do a complete rewrite of everything from scratch).

So... What am I looking at starting with, a Forms based application, .NET, MVVM? It's an insanely huge project, so if I gotta learn something new on the fly ... I really want/need to get the maximum bang outta whatever I jump into. Only "condition is that I'll be using MSVS of what ever version is/would be best ... which is (i guess) the other question; do I need to move to MSVS2010, or will 2008 do...for creating a (MS native code) Ribbon based UI for the application framework.

Side Notes:
Tablets are getting popular at the office, so I'm looking to do something "Finger Friendly".
There may be a limited access web interface involved (IU consistency issue).
This is a Window Only Environment.

Ath:
A few tips (in random order):

* Get VS2010, (and upgrade to VS v11/2012 as soon as it arrives) "The latest is the greatest" counts triple for MS dev-stuff :)
* MVVM is good for a big any project, if MVVM is the right pattern to use...
* WPF/XAML is what a ribbon UI is built upon (and you need at least VS2010 for decent XAML support)
* With a C/C++/Java/Pascal/Cobol (read: non-VB) background I'd opt for C# as the language, only choose VB.Net if that's what earning you a living already (no war please, just being practical).
* Read the Ribbon UI 'guide' on MSDN before you do anything with a Ribbon UI

Stoic Joker:
I tried jumping from MSVS2005 to 2010 and it annoyed the hell outta me (forget why), so ended up backing up to 2008 (which is what my NANY Got Space was done with). I tend to be trepidative with new Dev stuff ... But had a feeling that going Ribbon era UI would require 2010. Is the ribbon patient crap still going on?? Or will MSVS2010 natively support the damn thing. I just spent an hour trying to figure out how to get the damn RibbonControlsLibrary.dll stuck some where so I could compile a code sample.

Even though my last/first experience with C# went badly... I had already resigned myself to having to go that route ... I fiercely detest VB with every fiber of my being, and would rather quite programming than switch to that nonsense.

Is the Ribbon UI guide the one where it goes over when you should/shouldn't use one? Because that particular detail will most likely be decided by a committee (I bet you just said F***, didn't you? :)) ... Don't worry it's a small very bright committee (and I have trump...).

My primary objective is to get started with the newer, slicker (looking) IU for the project ... And to make sure (from the start) that it is willing to be fingered without forcing the user to futz with a bunch of foreplay.

Ath:
My primary objective is to get started with the newer, slicker (looking) IU for the project
-Stoic Joker (December 30, 2011, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Then Ribbon UI should be a part of your WPF based interface stuff :D

Yes VS2010 is the only route if you are going to do WPF/XAML, all previous version suck at that.

Maybe WPF is what you should start at, and drop in a Ribbon as the Menu replacement, as is often done, the semi-official guide to WPF is Josh Smith, with Sacha Barber as a good complement ;)

cranioscopical:
My mistake  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version