ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommendations for a hosted MS Exchange service

<< < (3/4) > >>

Stoic Joker:
they just called?...now they want to know about Microsoft Small effing Business Server?... oh... I see... his wife's cousin works for GEIS and does some freelance IT consulting on the side...and this prodigy told her SBS is all they really want or need.... called it a no-brainier did he?-40hz (December 31, 2011, 09:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Jesus Christ! ...Well he is half right...You'd have to be brainless to go that route for a critical system... :D

Get them setup with MS hosting before any other "bright ideas" turn them into a train wreck that you have to cut loose.

I was consulting for a friend a few weeks back, and we decided to let a job go because of the client's ludicrous requirement to deploy a server refresh in (as in within the...) a week. They had a 20 machine workgroup with a hub, and Bonjour was the primary protocol for the office software (FileMaker = Mac = god knows who wrote this POS). They were curiously concerned about performance problems... ROFL Oh hell no... Migrate to mission critical databased based on FileMaker over to an x64 box ... and guarantee it won't explode, in a week. Not! I'll let the Geek Squad do that kind of half-assed nonsense ... That's what they're there for.

techidave:
 :lol: :lol:
now that's funny SJ!

40hz:
I'll let the Geek Squad do that kind of half-assed nonsense ... That's what they're there for.
-Stoic Joker (December 31, 2011, 01:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
:lol: :lol:
now that's funny SJ!
-techidave (December 31, 2011, 02:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

And prescient too!

After an hour+ on the phone, and several follow up 3-way calls because I couldn't get them off the notion of SBS, it became obvious where this was going. (I personally think WHS is a better choice than SBS.) So I decided to honor my New Year's resolution - which in this case meant it was ok for me to walk away from this one.

I gave them the phone number of another local IT support business I don't like very much, who have tried to specialize in SBS deployments. Or at least as much as possible. (Not enough stupid people in the world to do it exclusively I guess.)  

I told my former client: "I think you may be better off with these guys if you want to use Small Business Server. It's really it's own thing - and these are the only people I'm aware of who are actively working with and supporting it around here. Can't comment on them one way or the other since I've never worked directly with them. But they're listed SBS Microsoft Partners, so maybe you should talk to them."

Got an e-mail back this morning. Had to read it twice since it meandered all over the place. But this gist of it was these folks have decided to start working with the other guy since he had "direct technical experience" and "a better understanding" of where they wanted to go with this project.

I wished them well, and declined to send them a requested bill for the time spent R&Ding Exchange hosting services. (Nice to see they had a little class.) But it was time well spent and grist for my ever expanding KB. And I don't really feel I did them any favors sending them where I did. Better to call it even and make a clean break.

Hey! Ya know what?

2012 is starting out on a very positive trend. One major headache plus one potential airship disaster avoided.

Recommendations for a hosted MS Exchange service

Life is good! :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
2012 is starting out on a very positive trend. One major headache plus one potential airship disaster avoided.-40hz (January 01, 2012, 02:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hay, New technical term for 2012: HindenBorked - For those times when totally fucked just doesn't cover it.

cranioscopical:
2012 is starting out on a very positive trend. One major headache plus one potential airship disaster avoided.-40hz (January 01, 2012, 02:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hay, New technical term for 2012: HindenBorked - For those times when totally fucked just doesn't cover it.
-Stoic Joker (January 01, 2012, 03:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
And the devil take the Hindenmost!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version