ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

If you had a medical implant would you rather it be closed or open source?

<< < (6/7) > >>

40hz:

So what happened to uncle Dave??

Well he was trying to jailbreak his pacemaker and bricked himself.
-Stoic Joker (January 06, 2012, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Great one!
-daddydave (January 06, 2012, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now that's funny! Sick. But still funny.  :Thmbsup: ;D ;D ;D

Recently seen bumper sticker:

It's only funny until somebody gets hurt. THEN IT BECOMES HYSTERICAL.

That was a fantastic illustration of exactly the kind of thing that could go wrong.
-Renegade (January 06, 2012, 06:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Excellent observation.

wraith808:
Back to the original post --- I firmly believe that software in medicine like that should be open source, GPL'd software.
-Renegade (January 06, 2012, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

So what happened to uncle Dave??

Well he was trying to jailbreak his pacemaker and bricked himself.
-Stoic Joker (January 06, 2012, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's hilarious!  And an indication why I, against the grain, like the fact that software in critical positions is closed source.  That said, I'd like for that software to be independently reviewed.  I worked on the side for a pretty high-priced lawyer that dealt with software in escrow, and I think it could work similarly.  For those unfamiliar with what I refer to, he would represent non-IT based companies that were buying mission critical software.  They would place their source in escrow against them going out of business (or other breaches of contract).  That source would be unavailable to the big company as long as the little guy was in business, and abided by the terms of the purchase contract (i.e. support, etc).  That gave the larger company peace of mind, while giving the smaller company a chance to compete in larger areas that might be a bit leery of purchasing from a 1-10 man shop.  My part in this was to verify that the source was complete, compiled, and the result had the same functionality as what was being delivered.

That said, the last time I worked for him on something like that was in the late 90's-early 2000's, so I'm not sure how prevalent that practice still is.

Renegade:
Has anyone watched "The Third Letter" yet?

It's only about 10 minutes long. Very short. Please, do watch it. It is EXACTLY what this thread is about. It's a VERY worthwhile watch.

40hz:

It's only about 10 minutes long. Very short. Please, do watch it. It is EXACTLY what this thread is about. It's a VERY worthwhile watch.

-Renegade (January 06, 2012, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is there anyplace where you can download or watch just The Third Letter without having to get the five the other shorts that are included in the Otherworlds #1 torrent?
 :)

Renegade:

-Renegade (January 06, 2012, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is there anyplace where you can download or watch just The Third Letter without having to get the five the other shorts that are included in the Otherworlds #1 torrent?
 :)
-40hz (January 06, 2012, 06:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I looked, but only saw a Youtube link...

My bad - it's 15 min. Still, pretty short and worth a watch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version