ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hosters are impossible. (A.k.a. get me what I want, not what I don't want!)

<< < (5/5)

JavaJones:
They haven't been supported for over a year. Basically, open one tab, and login on your @gmail.com account. Next, go to mail.example.com and login there. Nowadays, they log you out on the other one: only a single mailbox active seems supported nowadays. In days gone by, I could have three of the buggers open for days, and that was convenient, especially on the email-checking area. Logging in every time I need to use another account however is a big big bummer.
-worstje (January 07, 2012, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Odd, I thought they added *explicit* support for this within the last year or two, where you now have a drop-down menu from which you can easily switch between accounts. And yes, you can have multiple accounts logged-in and open at the same time, on different domains. I currently have 3 separate accounts logged-in, 2 regular Gmail, one GApps on a domain. Or is that not what you meant?

- Oshyan

wraith808:
They haven't been supported for over a year. Basically, open one tab, and login on your @gmail.com account. Next, go to mail.example.com and login there. Nowadays, they log you out on the other one: only a single mailbox active seems supported nowadays. In days gone by, I could have three of the buggers open for days, and that was convenient, especially on the email-checking area. Logging in every time I need to use another account however is a big big bummer.
--- End quote ---

As I said, I do this every day.  My employer has one domain, I use vanilla gmail.  I also have one account on my domain for the family, and an account on my own dev domain.  I can be logged into all of them at the same time.  The only thing that takes some getting used to is that the first domain is your primary domain for other services, but gmail can be switched back and forth between at will.

I can say that I don't go to mail.example.com to login, however.  When I want to log into the other account, I click the name/icon at the top, and click switch account.  But it works.

TaoPhoenix:

Because I cannot paste it often enough, let me repeat my stance on free things: If you don't pay, you aren't the customer. You are the PRODUCT. For most things, that is not an issue, and I _do_ enjoy my gmail account. However, I wish to look professional where this domain is involved, and if I do not trust Google with that data, why trust some other provider? At the least Google has a spotlight on its back; all those other tiny hosters can get away with far, far more when it is about privacy-related matters.
--- End quote ---

Hi Worstje.  I absolutely agree about avoiding Gmail and Yahoo. The flaw is in your second point. Sure Google has a spotlight on its back, and it doesn't exactly care - it explicitly announced it invented Google+ as an Identity Harvesting Service!

I'll see your "cannot paste it often enough" and raise you my 27 months and 1400 total thread posts of work. I created the project precisely to cut through the Platypus-$hit (nice and exotic, but still smelly!) that *most* of the small hosts spray in their marketing. In a site wide "contest" of a forum with some five hundred hosts I just asked in effect "how many of you think you can stay open a year and are willing to live with the flames if you get busted?" I got only thirty replies, only six survived, and I will specifically recommend Seraphim Labs and Decker Services as hosts not out to sell You as a Product.

hornet:
Anyone able to help out with suggestions for good hosters and such?
-worstje (December 29, 2011, 08:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have used hostica.com for over 15 years most of what you describe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version