ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hosters are impossible. (A.k.a. get me what I want, not what I don't want!)

<< < (3/5) > >>

Edvard:
Fair enough.
I'd be sketchy with an ISP like that as well.
+1 for lazy... I'm with you on that one (unfortunately) :-[

mahesh2k:
Google apps?

worstje:
A belated reply to mahesh2k: no, no, no and no again.  :'( See my initial post for as far a free solution is concerned.

And second, I'm no business. I'm just an individual in need of something to cover that nasty line where a free email account doesn't cut it (with an ancient-old nickname as part of the addy..), nor does something like '[email protected]'. Friends and family are fine for the former, the latter is fine for forums or whatever other public menace you aren't attached to.. but if you are going to end up representing yourself to potential employers or otherwise handling stuff you feel deserves a bit more care - it's worth the investment.

Alas, the problem is solved already in the shape of GeekISP, but thank you for replying. :-)

wraith808:
@worstje - what do you mean multiple domains for simultaneous logins are no longer supported?  I do that all the time?  Unless I'm missing your point...

f0dder:
If you have the domain and it's only for email, why not host it yourself?-Edvard (December 29, 2011, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Don't do this. No, wait, scratch that - don't even consider doing that. There's simply too many headaches involved.

Configuration, security, maintenance, resilience are bad enough by themselves. On top of that, a lot of ISPs block the necessary SMTP ports, and there's a lot of "distrust" generally for SMTP servers on ISP customer IP ranges... something that might not give you too much trouble if you're just going to receive mails, but should you ever want to use your own mailserver to also send mails, you'll be in for quite a bit of work and frustration.

Really, the money spent on email hosting is well spent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version