ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera: The web browser I have been dying to love

<< < (3/4) > >>

iphigenie:
Opera has been my main browser for many years now - and apart from the occasional issue with some sites that don't support it, I use it for everything. Heck, when evaluating webapps, if they don't have Opera support I look for another one, period.

Things I really like
- tabs and sessions that just worked the way I would expect
- the easily added search options. I can highlight a word and search it in board game geek, my public library's catalog, DC etc. etc.
- reopening closed tabs
- search in history from the url bar
- the synchronised notes. I absolutely love the notes. I have tons of things in it, saved snippets from websites, reference information, often pasted bits of text (for "paste from note"), things I can never remember (such as affiliate ID or my computer specs or the list of games I already own in some form)
- keyboard control
- you can install, uninstall, enable or disable extensions without having to restart the browser. To me, that is extensions done properly ;)

It takes so much work to get firefox to work half as well as Opera does out of the box. Yes, there are far many more add ons available for firefox but what's the point nowadays when we have webapps and all?

Last year I had to work with 2 customers who have a google apps setup and in order to not constantly have the collision of the google IDs I started using firefox and chrome to have each browser focused on one client/project etc. Both are usable but in each I miss a lot of little touches and it takes a lot of add ons to get them back even in a partial manner!

Yes there are more extensions in Firefox but with version 10/11 Opera finally enabled a more integrated extension type and you can find some of the same extensions now. And

Extensions I use on Opera:
- ghostery
- lastpass
- pastebin
- cleanpages ("readability)
- persistenttext (saves form content automatically)
- Textarea resizer
- a couple web developer ones

extensions I wish for opera:
- diigo

That's actually it...

yksyks:
I'm using Opera since version 3, with a short digression to Chrome, but now I'm safely back.

Auto-complete is an area that I have always felt opera has been lacking in.
-Josh (December 28, 2011, 07:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd probably leave Opera for good without the AutoComplete extension.

dantheman:
Although we take it for granted, Opera's wand is still pretty "magical"!  :-*

In the line of wish lists for the New Year...
Feedly and CloudMagic would be nice additions.
Vote for Feedly dev. at http://www.getsatisfaction.com

Best wishes of prosperity and health to all the folks here at DCF!  :D

-btw, is there anyway to file new notes to a default folder or any other of personal choice?

Babis:

- keyboard control

-iphigenie (January 01, 2012, 03:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi, do you really find that opera enables more keyboard control than firefox?

This is a surprise for me. I consider firefox the most keyboard friendly browser.

MilesAhead:
Of course the one feature that has always stood out that I've seen no other browser implement in satisfactory fashion, the automatic wrap of bookmarks toolbar or personal bar or whatever you wish to name the toolbar that has a bunch of bookmarks on it.

I've seen a bunch of modifications to FF configuration that supposedly will do it. But every one I've tried caused the browser to lose use of one of the scroll bars until restart.

It is kind of difficult to believe in all these decades of coding browsers nobody else can seem to get it right.  If you reduce the width of the window in Firefox, chromium, IE, etc.. you end up with that '>>>' on the right hand side instead of another row of bookmarks.  Really weird.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version