ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera: The web browser I have been dying to love

<< < (2/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
I was curious about Opera but didn't want to pay for it. When it became free I used it quite a bit. One trick with browsers is, what's "bloated" now becomes "lean" a couple years later when the competition catches up with the bloat. I think I used 8.502 or something like that for years. I feel about Chromium now like I felt about Opera then. You could run it out of the box.  In Chromium I only have like 4 extensions enabled. The main thing that frosted me about Opera was stubborn ideas like expecting me to triple click the mouse to copy a line of text to the clipboard. Have they not heard of CTS??  Geez!!

Even now though, I can't do everything with Chromium. I have Firefox and Opera installed for those sites that don't work well in Chromium.  What I can do without is IE. Don't use it or anything based on the engine.

hpearce:
Opera's extensions are much like chromes'... whcih in my view aren't significantly better and neither will proably ever be able to do what Firefox extensions do.

Opera is however higthly customizable with the INI interfaces although you need to learn how to use this feature. I also like opera because it supports email and IRC all together in one program.

Opera has recently started work on a 64 bit browser which I have tried and from my experience is very fast.

Renegade:
Opera... divisive... I can't help but root for the underdog.

I'm using Opera and Chrome primarily now. Both are great, with minor issues. If I were to pick one right now, I'd have to say Chrome is in the lead, though not by much. It still seems like more sites work better with Chrome.

I find I am spending more time in Chrome though.

As for FF... ditched that long ago. I only use it very rarely now, and only with a special purpose.

IE is still my staple for a very small number of web sites where it simply works better than anything else. But, those aren't many.

Posting from Opera -- DC just seems faster in it. :)

Curt:
I often use Opera. As an example when I and my Fireox are on a homepage that doesn't behave like I expect it to, I will right-click and chose "Open in Opera", just to check. It was informative to read this thread and realize, Opera can be used for more things ;-)

dantheman:
Josh,

I too have same feelings as you.

But! Opera's 12 Wahoo version is really good!  :Thmbsup:
The new mail client revamp is fantastic, the browser usually uses less system resources than all the other browsers (except for IE9) and it is snappy as can be at startup and page rendering!  :-*

Extensions wise it's still lacking but a few like
http://www.moonlight21.com/opera-internal-pages
and http://www.similarsites.com/similarweb/
and the ability to add new search engines to the search box,
that, and little programs like http://www.clicktoapp.com/ i think i can be happy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version