ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best E-mail Client

E-mail client recommendations

<< < (6/10) > >>

Edvard:
I'm liking Spicebird (it's been mentioned on DC a few times).
Based on Mozilla code, but there's a certain je ne sais quoi about it that I like very much, where I disliked Thunderbird for the same (read: nebulous) reasons.
Handles multiple accounts pretty well, and setup is 5-year-old-level easy.

That said, there are a few nits about it, like not being able to use T-bird extensions, that would probably not please some people.

YMMV, $0.02, etc...

superboyac:
To me, probably the most critical feature of an offline email client is the quality of the stored content.  That's what makes the Bat awesome: it's not likely to screw up the files holding all the emails.  The program is quirky, but you can be fairly sure those emails are going to stay with you for a long time.  I have emails in there stored since 1996, no problem.  Crashes, blues screens, all sorts of migrations, etc...everything still stays perfectly intact.
That, plus great multiple account interface makes it in a class of its own.  That's why I stick to it despite all my constant bitching about the quirks.  i won't even sniff another client without that kind of rock-solid backend or multiple account features.

40hz:
I'm liking Spicebird (it's been mentioned on DC a few times).
Based on Mozilla code, but there's a certain je ne sais quoi about it that I like very much, where I disliked Thunderbird for the same (read: nebulous) reasons.
Handles multiple accounts pretty well, and setup is 5-year-old-level easy.
-Edvard (January 04, 2012, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Je ne sais quoi indeed!

Just downloaded it to give it a try. I do like it better than TBird, and am also having a problem saying exactly why. Maybe it's because it feels lighter and smoother in some indefinable way compared to "the bird"?

Handles IMAP very nicely. And to your point, setup is a breeze. Gave it a Gmail account and password and it handled all the server settings for me. Nice! A few seconds later it synced a good number of folders and messages and still felt light and snappy afterwards

Hmm...gonna have to feed it for a week or two and then decide if it's allowed to stay.

Thx for the suggestion. :Thmbsup:

Tuxman:
Just had a look at eM Client. What is that thing supposed to be? Where are the major advantages?

cyberdiva:
One thing that keeps me using Mulberry is its "Cabinets" feature.  I use sieve filters to filter my mail on my two university accounts into a variety of mailboxes, depending on various criteria.  I have a Mulberry cabinet that shows me just the mailboxes that are able to receive new mail, so I can see at a glance which mailboxes have new mail.  Mail in some mailboxes I know I want to look at right away, whereas others can wait.  When I use Thunderbird, I have to scroll through my MANY mailboxes to find which ones have new mail, and I find that rather inconvenient.  I also have a cabinet that holds just those mailboxes that I want to synchronize with mailboxes on my computer. With IMAP, I don't have to download messages, but I have 18 mailboxes whose contents I want to save on my hard drive.  Mulberry's Auto-Synchronize cabinet makes it very easy to do this.  Yet another cabinet I use is Copy Messages To.  It simply lists all the mailboxes in which I might want to move a message after reading it.  I haven't found this "cabinet" functionality in other email clients.  It's not the only reason I stay with Mulberry, but it's one that I really don't want to give up.  If there are more modern email clients that do have a similar feature, I'd like to know about them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version