ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best E-mail Client

E-mail client recommendations

<< < (5/10) > >>

40hz:
Why? Thunderbird is not licensed under the GPL.
-Tuxman (January 04, 2012, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's officially released under MPL along with GPL and LGPL since sections of the incorporated code base had already been released under those licenses. Which Mozilla honors BTW. GPL requires source code be made available if any GPLed code is used in a subsequent piece of software. GPL doesn't go away just because you wrote a new license (or some code) around it. "In for a penny - in for a pound" as the saying goes.  

FWIW Mozilla's main concern is protecting the use of it's name and trademarks. They're not overly concerned about their code because they already view it as open and make it available.
 :)
 :)

Tuxman:
According to Postbox's information around, it is based on Mozilla code directly. But maybe they removed the GPL components.

iphigenie:
They solved it another way, they make the code that might be affected available http://www.postbox-inc.com/coveredcode

40hz:
They solved it another way, they make the code that might be affected available http://www.postbox-inc.com/coveredcode
-iphigenie (January 04, 2012, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think doing that necessarily complies with the conditions of the GPL (which has some words about not being allowed to "cherry pick" which licenses apply to what if you use GPL code in a larger work) but I may be wrong - and I've strayed far enough off topic that we'll leave that for another day and another discussion. Better yet, let's leave that to Mozilla since Thunderbird is their child.

Apologies to all for going OT.  :-[

allen:
I liked Opera M2 for its "one box, virtual folders for on the fly classification" approach, but it would get slow after a certain size (i have years of email) and didn't support tags the way I would like. I need to revisit it though as there are many new versions since I last used it.-iphigenie (January 04, 2012, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

You should definitely revisit it. In the latest versions of Opera, the mail client is operating much faster with a large mailbase. The email database loads independently -after- Opera has started, so browser startup itself is a lot better with a lot of mail.

I also really like Postbox, especially as gmail is my primary email provider. Postbox's gmail support integration is by far the best I've seen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version