ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Christmas arms race

<< < (7/8) > >>

tomos:
I vastly prefer Chopin [...]
-40hz (January 02, 2012, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

must try that - wheat, rye, or potato though??
I cant imagine potato being much good tastewise, but that's based on my expierence with poitín before it was legalised - which isnt very fair I guess.

Vodka is good with food I find - saw some programme a few years back about an old russian guy and they were saying that it was traditionally drank with meals - I mean before people started drinking it around the clock :)

I'm suspicious of any drink that requires freezing in order to be palatable (jeez, am I getting snobby now :-\)
I had fond memories of Moskovskaya vodka, got a bottle of it lately - it was good, but didnt pass the drink-it-like-a-whiskey test very well (not chilled, tiny dash of water). Tastes reasonably good, nice marzipany aftertaste, doesnt smell great though. But maybe that's not fair if it's meant to be drank cold... (it is cheap - for the price I'd say it's very good).

40hz:
Vodka is good with food I find - saw some programme a few years back about an old russian guy and they were saying that it was traditionally drank with meals - I mean before people started drinking it around the clock :)-tomos (January 03, 2012, 04:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I prefer vodka with food - and whisky without.

Draw what conclusions you will. But please remember my forebears usually made alcohol out of anything they could put in a bucket - and dinner out of anything that couldn't crawl back out of one - so I'm probably not the best person to ask when it comes to cuisine. My Russian grandfather considered ketchup - or 'catsup' if you prefer - a delicacy. (And put it on almost everything.)

I'm suspicious of any drink that requires freezing in order to be palatable (jeez, am I getting snobby now :-\)
--- End quote ---

I don't think so. I think it's just proof you've become an adult somewhere along the line.

I had fond memories of Moskovskaya vodka, got a bottle of it lately - it was good, but didnt pass the drink-it-like-a-whiskey test very well (not chilled, tiny dash of water). Tastes reasonably good, nice marzipany aftertaste, doesnt smell great though. But maybe that's not fair if it's meant to be drank cold... (it is cheap - for the price I'd say it's very good).

--- End quote ---

Nothing wrong with paying a little less than you have to for something good that you enjoy. (Gonna have to see if I can find that one and give it a try!)

---

Re: Chopin - Testers for a Slate article liked it. FWIW, I've tried most of the brands mentioned in the article and I agree with the ranking and also with most of the comments. But take it with a sip of vodka - because I'm not a "real" vodka drinker.

tomos:
But take it with a sip of vodka - because I'm not a "real" vodka drinker.
-40hz (January 03, 2012, 05:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

... me neither - thanks!

Shades:
@40Hz:
Try the local Paraguayan dish, called 'Mondongo'. After one bite you will see the truth in the way of your grandfather and his ketchup...you will use liters! 
Man, that is disgusting...in a similar way like the Scottish 'Haggis'.

40hz:
@40Hz:
Try the local Paraguayan dish, called 'Mondongo'. After one bite you will see the truth in the way of your grandfather and his ketchup...you will use liters! 
Man, that is disgusting...in a similar way like the Scottish 'Haggis'.

-Shades (January 08, 2012, 12:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do I have to? Please don't make me. I'll be good! :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version