topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The Christmas arms race  (Read 20757 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Christmas arms race
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2011, 06:21 PM »
That'll work ... I've got one named Molly (She's almost 16)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 06:35 PM »
You should always add a tiny splash of water to most decent whiskies -- it opens up the flavours no end.

A friend taught me that trick a while back... oh man... understatement... It was night and day.

I love whiskey...

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 07:08 PM »
You should always add a tiny splash of water to most decent whiskies -- it opens up the flavours no end. (But stop adding water before you've seen it splash.) Ideally, water from the home of the relevant place -- but some of those Scottish islands are quite a hefty trip. And yes, ice is generally a mistake, as it kills the flavours just as neatly as chilling cheap wine does. (There are people who suggest that Jack Daniels only manages to be popular because most people drink it over ice. I, of course, am far too diplomatic to hold such a view.)

Amen. A wee dram (or two) of single malt with a minute 'splash' is a tiny slice of heaven. "If God made anything better, He's keepin' it for Himself." as one unrepentant Scotsman I know so aptly put it.

I'm partial to Laphroaig whiskeys in general. I am a big fan of Laphroaig Quarter Cask and their newer Laphroaig Triple Wood in particular.

I usually keep two bottles in the house. One cracked, the other kept in reserve - and replaced immediately with a new one once it's opened. Not being a heavy drinker they last me a bit. (A fine whiskey should be respectfully savored, and should never be drunk alone. Gather the faithful to you - and share.) Nor should it be imbibed purely for "medicinal purposes." If you just want (or need) to get drunk, that's what vodka's for. (Trust me. I'm of Russian descent, so I should know!  :mrgreen:)

8)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 07:14 PM by 40hz »

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2011, 04:51 AM »
If you just want (or need) to get drunk, that's what vodka's for. (Trust me. I'm of Russian descent, so I should know!  :mrgreen:)

Indeed.

But...

Take one bottle of Stolichnaya and put it in the freezer for a couple of days.

Remove from freezer. Pour (yes, it should still pour, although it might flow a bit more slowly) into a cold shot glass.

Drink slowly.

Now tell me again that vodka's only for getting drunk with? ;)
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 02:02 PM »

Now tell me again that vodka's only for getting drunk with? ;)

Didn't say only for. Said it was for. ;D

But to reiterate, a fine Scotch whisky is *not* (as in "not done") for getting drunk with. You could flirt with a mild buzz perhaps. But falling down drunk is best left for the Eastern European distiller's artistry. Or, in a pinch, a fine Sake. ;)

----

So! You like it fresh out of the freezer, just like my kinfolk drink it huh? I'm not a Stoli fan myself. Seems a little one-dimensional although I'll give it full props for it's smoothness. I vastly prefer Chopin, at room temp, or very slightly cooled, myself. For serving very cold I'm partial to Ketel One. It has a little more 'attitude' and bite - which goes well with lower serving temperatures IMO. But it's ridiculously overpriced for what it is since it's now become very popular. I'd try a glass at some bar before I dropped the asking $36+ USD for a liter. K1 has a unique albeit very vodka-ey flavor which some people find a bit too much at times.
 :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 04:22 PM »
I vastly prefer Chopin [...]

must try that - wheat, rye, or potato though??
I cant imagine potato being much good tastewise, but that's based on my expierence with poitín before it was legalised - which isnt very fair I guess.

Vodka is good with food I find - saw some programme a few years back about an old russian guy and they were saying that it was traditionally drank with meals - I mean before people started drinking it around the clock :)

I'm suspicious of any drink that requires freezing in order to be palatable (jeez, am I getting snobby now :-\)
I had fond memories of Moskovskaya vodka, got a bottle of it lately - it was good, but didnt pass the drink-it-like-a-whiskey test very well (not chilled, tiny dash of water). Tastes reasonably good, nice marzipany aftertaste, doesnt smell great though. But maybe that's not fair if it's meant to be drank cold... (it is cheap - for the price I'd say it's very good).
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 05:22 PM »
Vodka is good with food I find - saw some programme a few years back about an old russian guy and they were saying that it was traditionally drank with meals - I mean before people started drinking it around the clock :)

I prefer vodka with food - and whisky without.

Draw what conclusions you will. But please remember my forebears usually made alcohol out of anything they could put in a bucket - and dinner out of anything that couldn't crawl back out of one - so I'm probably not the best person to ask when it comes to cuisine. My Russian grandfather considered ketchup - or 'catsup' if you prefer - a delicacy. (And put it on almost everything.)

I'm suspicious of any drink that requires freezing in order to be palatable (jeez, am I getting snobby now :-\)

I don't think so. I think it's just proof you've become an adult somewhere along the line.

I had fond memories of Moskovskaya vodka, got a bottle of it lately - it was good, but didnt pass the drink-it-like-a-whiskey test very well (not chilled, tiny dash of water). Tastes reasonably good, nice marzipany aftertaste, doesnt smell great though. But maybe that's not fair if it's meant to be drank cold... (it is cheap - for the price I'd say it's very good).

Nothing wrong with paying a little less than you have to for something good that you enjoy. (Gonna have to see if I can find that one and give it a try!)

---

Re: Chopin - Testers for a Slate article liked it. FWIW, I've tried most of the brands mentioned in the article and I agree with the ranking and also with most of the comments. But take it with a sip of vodka - because I'm not a "real" vodka drinker.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:38 PM by 40hz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 05:31 PM »
But take it with a sip of vodka - because I'm not a "real" vodka drinker.

... me neither - thanks!
Tom

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2012, 12:06 PM »
@40Hz:
Try the local Paraguayan dish, called 'Mondongo'. After one bite you will see the truth in the way of your grandfather and his ketchup...you will use liters! 
Man, that is disgusting...in a similar way like the Scottish 'Haggis'.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2012, 12:45 PM »
@40Hz:
Try the local Paraguayan dish, called 'Mondongo'. After one bite you will see the truth in the way of your grandfather and his ketchup...you will use liters! 
Man, that is disgusting...in a similar way like the Scottish 'Haggis'.

Do I have to? Please don't make me. I'll be good! :(

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2012, 03:44 PM »
They tricked me with that one, the food appeared on the table, disguised as a schnitzel.

From the first bite I sensed something wrong, halfway through (I didn't want to disappoint the hostess/cook) I left the table nearly vomiting. At this time the rest of the family at the table had a pretty good idea of what I was eating and started to laugh at my expense.

So whatever happens, make really sure to let nobody prepare a dish called 'Mondongo' for you. Not for any occasion...never!

And yes. I wished I had liters of ketchup at that meal. 

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2012, 04:01 PM »
@Shades - Ok. Just looked it up. Good Lord!!!

Good thing it didn't happen to me. You'd have to take the word 'nearly' out of your second sentence.

I have an unbelievable aversion to seafood in any form. Remind me to tell you (privately) what happened the time a few 'friends' tricked me into eating caviar at a very posh social event we had only been invited to because of some misguided noblesse oblige on the part of our host.

Suffice to say it involved me, my rented 'black tie' ensemble, and a white carpet...
 :(
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 04:08 PM by 40hz »