ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Christmas arms race

<< < (6/8) > >>

Stoic Joker:
That'll work ... I've got one named Molly (She's almost 16)

Renegade:
You should always add a tiny splash of water to most decent whiskies -- it opens up the flavours no end.
-oblivion (December 30, 2011, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

A friend taught me that trick a while back... oh man... understatement... It was night and day.

I love whiskey...

40hz:
You should always add a tiny splash of water to most decent whiskies -- it opens up the flavours no end. (But stop adding water before you've seen it splash.) Ideally, water from the home of the relevant place -- but some of those Scottish islands are quite a hefty trip. And yes, ice is generally a mistake, as it kills the flavours just as neatly as chilling cheap wine does. (There are people who suggest that Jack Daniels only manages to be popular because most people drink it over ice. I, of course, am far too diplomatic to hold such a view.)
-oblivion (December 30, 2011, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Amen. A wee dram (or two) of single malt with a minute 'splash' is a tiny slice of heaven. "If God made anything better, He's keepin' it for Himself." as one unrepentant Scotsman I know so aptly put it.

I'm partial to Laphroaig whiskeys in general. I am a big fan of Laphroaig Quarter Cask and their newer Laphroaig Triple Wood in particular.

I usually keep two bottles in the house. One cracked, the other kept in reserve - and replaced immediately with a new one once it's opened. Not being a heavy drinker they last me a bit. (A fine whiskey should be respectfully savored, and should never be drunk alone. Gather the faithful to you - and share.) Nor should it be imbibed purely for "medicinal purposes." If you just want (or need) to get drunk, that's what vodka's for. (Trust me. I'm of Russian descent, so I should know!  :mrgreen:)

8)

oblivion:
If you just want (or need) to get drunk, that's what vodka's for. (Trust me. I'm of Russian descent, so I should know!  :mrgreen:)
-40hz (December 30, 2011, 07:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed.

But...

Take one bottle of Stolichnaya and put it in the freezer for a couple of days.

Remove from freezer. Pour (yes, it should still pour, although it might flow a bit more slowly) into a cold shot glass.

Drink slowly.

Now tell me again that vodka's only for getting drunk with? ;)

40hz:

Now tell me again that vodka's only for getting drunk with? ;)

-oblivion (December 31, 2011, 04:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Didn't say only for. Said it was for. ;D

But to reiterate, a fine Scotch whisky is *not* (as in "not done") for getting drunk with. You could flirt with a mild buzz perhaps. But falling down drunk is best left for the Eastern European distiller's artistry. Or, in a pinch, a fine Sake. ;)

----

So! You like it fresh out of the freezer, just like my kinfolk drink it huh? I'm not a Stoli fan myself. Seems a little one-dimensional although I'll give it full props for it's smoothness. I vastly prefer Chopin, at room temp, or very slightly cooled, myself. For serving very cold I'm partial to Ketel One. It has a little more 'attitude' and bite - which goes well with lower serving temperatures IMO. But it's ridiculously overpriced for what it is since it's now become very popular. I'd try a glass at some bar before I dropped the asking $36+ USD for a liter. K1 has a unique albeit very vodka-ey flavor which some people find a bit too much at times.
 :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version