ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Christmas arms race

(1/8) > >>

oblivion:
As Christmas 2011 starts its slide back towards the dim and distant memories occupied by all its many predecessors, I feel it's only right to start the traditional post-Christmas "what did YOU get?" arms race.

Anybody here who received a Ferrari, a fully equipped palace or an entire debt-free nation can leave now, please: this is for those of us whose credit cards start quivering slightly in fear, somewhere around the start of November every year...

No lists, either. What was your FAVOURITE present?

I may have to duck for cover when I start the list off: I got a Kindle. (Not the 3G version.) I know, I know, I've always said anti-Kindle things, done the luddite "I'd rather have a REAL book" stuff... but actually, it's very good. I haven't quite got to the point where it vanishes and all I have is content, but I can feel the move in that direction.  :)

app103:
If I post what was my favorite gift, you guys are going to think I am weird...but here goes...

an 8 lb box of powdered milk  :D

Or more accurately...The 10 minute stand-up comedy routine that followed, from my daughter, about what would happen if you mixed it up with the box of laundry detergent. Every time I use the powdered milk for something, I am going to remember it, and that will be for a long time, considering how much powdered milk I now have.

mahesh2k:
Is it just me or every random forum where I check for christmas and new year threads always end up talking about resolutions that they can't keep? :P

40hz:
Is it just me or every random forum where I check for christmas and new year threads always end up talking about resolutions ;D that they can't keep? :P
-mahesh2k (December 28, 2011, 01:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe that's because if people only talked about the resolutions they did keep there'd be something like...what?...two or three posts in the entire thread?

JavaJones:
I got very few gifts, for which I am grateful! I don't really need much. I bought myself a computer back in October, I guess I could consider that an early Christmas present to myself, hehe. I narrowly escaped buying an HD Hero2 camera, as discussed here (I still might get one in 2012, no promises that I won't, hehe). As far as gifts from others (the usual kind? haha), I don't know what my mom got me as it's still in shipment and she won't tell me. The only other gift I got was some rather nice matcha tea from a friend of mine. Nothing like drinking the whole leaf! I'm a bit of a tea nut these days, so it's very appropriate. :)

(Semi)off-topic, this is my thought on new year's resolutions:

I don't plan to make any formal ones this year. Every year is an opportunity to learn and grow, right? Or to screw up royally. :D

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version