topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Freeware Genius Posts Top 10 Free Programs of 2011  (Read 4502 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Freeware Genius Posts Top 10 Free Programs of 2011
« on: December 28, 2011, 05:33 AM »
No DC apps on the list, but Samer at FreewareGenius is always finding great software, so definitely worth a read:

Many sites have “best of year” program lists that are really “best of all time”; so is this one of them? Well, yes and no. This is a list of the best free software that has either been launched in 2011, or has been significantly improved upon and come into it’s own in 2011 (for a best freeware ever list, check out our Freeware Top 30).

How I chose these: I install a lot of programs, as you might imagine. I do this on my main machine and every several weeks I restore a clean image, so I take note of those programs that make their way back into my system as being a cut above the rest. This is a list of those, or at least 10 that are quite noteworthy. I also made an attempt NOT to rehash the same old list of titles which everyone already knows.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Freeware Genius Posts Top 10 Free Programs of 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 10:01 AM »
Was worth reading just to find out about Otixo! :Thmbsup:

What a remarkably useful utility for managing files you've stored in the cloud! Been using it less than an hour and I'm already a fan.

Props to Cyberduck too. That may just become my day-to-day FTP client if it proves out to be half as good as it seems after the quick try I gave it.   
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 10:08 AM by 40hz »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:54 PM »
@mouser: Thanks for posting these here for our attention. I had skipped over this post in FreewareGenius and would probably have missed the collection altogether if you had not posted it here.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 04:24 PM »
Nice to see Listary there, I actually am happy to use the "souped up paid version" as Samer at Freeware Genius calls it.

I better check out Otixo, too, I was just wondering which of my files were on Dropbox and which are on SugarSync not long ago.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 05:19 PM »
Wow, I would have missed a lot if I hadn't read through this list. Cyberduck does indeed look great. Imported my Filezilla bookmarks on startup. Nice!

It's also interesting to have a new contender for the compression app crown brought to my attention. I've gone through ZipGenius, IzArc, and now 7-Zip phases in the past, I've been reasonably happy with each but eventually run into annoyances (in some cases it's just a slow update cycle as has been the case at times with both ZipGenius and Izarc, though both doing better now I think).

Also have to check out Freemake after its recommendation here as well as in the recent video converter thread here on DC.

- Oshyan