Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • December 07, 2016, 04:13:42 PM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Freeware Genius Posts Top 10 Free Programs of 2011  (Read 2758 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Freeware Genius Posts Top 10 Free Programs of 2011
« on: December 28, 2011, 05:33:43 AM »
No DC apps on the list, but Samer at FreewareGenius is always finding great software, so definitely worth a read:

Many sites have “best of year” program lists that are really “best of all time”; so is this one of them? Well, yes and no. This is a list of the best free software that has either been launched in 2011, or has been significantly improved upon and come into it’s own in 2011 (for a best freeware ever list, check out our Freeware Top 30).

How I chose these: I install a lot of programs, as you might imagine. I do this on my main machine and every several weeks I restore a clean image, so I take note of those programs that make their way back into my system as being a cut above the rest. This is a list of those, or at least 10 that are quite noteworthy. I also made an attempt NOT to rehash the same old list of titles which everyone already knows.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Freeware Genius Posts Top 10 Free Programs of 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 10:01:24 AM »
Was worth reading just to find out about Otixo! :Thmbsup:

What a remarkably useful utility for managing files you've stored in the cloud! Been using it less than an hour and I'm already a fan.

Props to Cyberduck too. That may just become my day-to-day FTP client if it proves out to be half as good as it seems after the quick try I gave it.   
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 10:08:57 AM by 40hz »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:54:13 PM »
@mouser: Thanks for posting these here for our attention. I had skipped over this post in FreewareGenius and would probably have missed the collection altogether if you had not posted it here.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 04:24:32 PM »
Nice to see Listary there, I actually am happy to use the "souped up paid version" as Samer at Freeware Genius calls it.

I better check out Otixo, too, I was just wondering which of my files were on Dropbox and which are on SugarSync not long ago.

If bad things happen to other people, it's karma. If bad things happen to me, it's kismat!

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 05:19:35 PM »
Wow, I would have missed a lot if I hadn't read through this list. Cyberduck does indeed look great. Imported my Filezilla bookmarks on startup. Nice!

It's also interesting to have a new contender for the compression app crown brought to my attention. I've gone through ZipGenius, IzArc, and now 7-Zip phases in the past, I've been reasonably happy with each but eventually run into annoyances (in some cases it's just a slow update cycle as has been the case at times with both ZipGenius and Izarc, though both doing better now I think).

Also have to check out Freemake after its recommendation here as well as in the recent video converter thread here on DC.

- Oshyan