ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

NoteFrog Pro (clipboard information manager) - Mini-Review

<< < (13/27) > >>

berry:
I think it would be better if you could import from a single file with some sort of delimiter to separate items. If I were to try to make individual text files for the stuff I've imported, it'd have been a longer process than an item at a time via the clipboard. (I shall assume that that would have worked, with the right version, a good deal more smoothly than it actually did!)

I suspect many junkpile-organiser-type programs would be able to squirt out their contents as a textfile with optionally some sort of separator between them -- although I can't say I've researched the subject, it just strikes me as sensible -- which would give you an import route at least for plaintext, as long as you could specify the delimiter...
-oblivion (January 21, 2012, 03:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

If there's some "generally" usable format, it should be easy enough to set up an import. I started out with a keynote format import but only had two users who used it. Everyone else needed something different. Different from everyone else:) I decided I would be spending more time writing import routines than improving the functionality of Frog.

Could probably develop something based on a user specified delimiter as long as everyone would be comfortable that any delimiters occurring in the files themselves would cause a new record.

See you in the forum.

cheers

IainB:
Feedback on ß test:
Comments:
Spoiler1. After reading today's comments in the above thread today, I downloaded and installed the .EXE file only (a 2nd time), from the link provided by Berry via email - just in case it was different to the one I downloaded earlier.

2. I have not so far noticed any Clipboard collisions/errors with/between NF or CHS, and have been unable to replicate the sort of issue described by oblivion. Thus, in my case, NF and CHS seem to be able to coexist OK.

3. I have not noticed the episodic frog-croak sound from NF that I had previously described, so it may have gone away. I will post a comment here if/when it recurs.

4. I keep getting an occasional exclamation "Ping" and the Comunication" box says I have a duplicate, when in fact I never did a Ctrl+C to create a duplicate.
    Example:
    17:59:31 Isduplicate NF and CHS clearly can't comfortably coexist
    17:59:31 newItem() duplicate - skipped

--- End quote ---

5. I have found the "Comunication" box (missing an "m" there) very informative for testing purposes. I think it could be useful to retain that function, to provide a background log and for the user to enable/disable it for monitoring/testing purposes. Having a Copy button on it is a good idea too, as you can choose whether you want to keep part/all of the current log in the Stack - arguably better than having it as a separate log file, at any rate. (Though there seems to be something slightly amiss with the "Comunication" box - see "Minor issues" , below.)

Major issues: None.

Minor issues:
Spoiler1. There is no tooltip for the help, tools and utilities toolbar button - not sure if you wanted there to be one. (This is as per oblivion's comment.)

2. Though the position of the MAIN NF UI window seems to be remembered OK by NF (from its last opened position on the screen), some of the popup windows (e.g., Options) opened from the UI seem to open with their lower part truncated by (or "below") the bottom of my laptop screen. If I drag the popup window to where I can see it all, and then close it, the next time I open that popup window, NF evidently doesn't remember where I last moved it to - the window starts off again in the same truncated position. (This is as per oblivion's comment - sorry, though I had noticed this a while back, I had forgotten to mention it until I was reminded by his comment.)

3. The "Comunication" window (missing an "m" there) is intrusive - this seems to be because, the way it currently works, it sometimes steals window focus, which it probably should not be doing. (Similar to what was mentioned by oblivion.)

3. You sometimes/always (it's repeatable anyway) seem to have to force a Stack/viewer refresh (Ctrl+R) before a recently-copied clip with the search term appears in the search. It's in the Stack, but just not appearing in the search until you refresh. (Similar to what was mentioned by oblivion.)

berry:
4. I keep getting an occasional exclamation "Ping" and the Comunication" box says I have a duplicate, when in fact I never did a Ctrl+C to create a duplicate.
    Example:

17:59:31 Isduplicate NF and CHS clearly can't comfortably coexist
    17:59:31 newItem() duplicate - skipped
--- End quote ---
An informational/debug message, due to the way CHS "re-establish clipboard periodically"

5. I have found the "Comunication" box (missing an "m" there) very informative for testing purposes. I think it could be useful to retain that function, to provide a background log and for the user to enable/disable it for monitoring/testing purposes. Having a Copy button on it is a good idea too, as you can choose whether you want to keep part/all of the current log in the Stack - arguably better than having it as a separate log file, at any rate. (Though there seems to be something slightly amiss with the "Comunication" box - see "Minor issues" , below.)
--- End quote ---
It could be useful during testing, but, as mentioned, it's not quite ready for prime time yet :)

1. There is no tooltip for the help, tools and utilities toolbar button - not sure if you wanted there to be one. (This is as per oblivion's comment.)
--- End quote ---
fixed

2. Though the position of the MAIN NF UI window seems to be remembered OK by NF (from its last opened position on the screen), some of the popup windows (e.g., Options) opened from the UI seem to open with their lower part truncated by (or "below") the bottom of my laptop screen. If I drag the popup window to where I can see it all, and then close it, the next time I open that popup window, NF evidently doesn't remember where I last moved it to - the window starts off again in the same truncated position. (This is as per oblivion's comment - sorry, though I had noticed this a while back, I had forgotten to mention it until I was reminded by his comment.)
--- End quote ---
Correct - most child windows are positioned relative to the main window. I'll move the options window up, but it won't be set to remember it's position in this release.

3. The "Comunication" window (missing an "m" there) is intrusive - this seems to be because, the way it currently works, it sometimes steals window focus, which it probably should not be doing. (Similar to what was mentioned by oblivion.)
--- End quote ---
See comment above

3. You sometimes/always (it's repeatable anyway) seem to have to force a Stack/viewer refresh (Ctrl+R) before a recently-copied clip with the search term appears in the search. It's in the Stack, but just not appearing in the search until you refresh. (Similar to what was mentioned by oblivion.)
--- End quote ---
Correct. At present, a search is "static".

I'll correct the issues as mentioned above and put a new version out. Unless I screw something up in the process (as we've seen, very possible), we MAY be getting close to a release.

rjbull:
There is a raw text input capability under the "Stack" menu - "Import all text items from a directory.."
--- End quote ---

I think it would be better if you could import from a single file with some sort of delimiter to separate items.-oblivion (January 21, 2012, 03:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
And I think both options should be available  :)  Definitely +1 for delimited text.  In fact, I was planning to add a message suggesting it, but you got there first.

rjbull:
If there's some "generally" usable format, it should be easy enough to set up an import. I started out with a keynote format import but only had two users who used it. Everyone else needed something different. Different from everyone else:) I decided I would be spending more time writing import routines than improving the functionality of Frog. -berry (January 21, 2012, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think there's a universal data exchange format, more's the pity.  I've been wrestling with this myself.  Several two-pane outliners say they support either Treepad Lite HJT or KeyNote KNT formats, so I've tried converting files via those two, but I've not had much luck, and suspect that KeyNote's own import may not be perfect.  In particular, KeyNote seems to mark some plain text notes as RTF and that seems to cause a problem where a note comes out blank.  CSV is a common data-exchange format, but while I don't have enough knowledge to be really clear about it, CSV seems to me problematic inasmuch as plenty of data I have already contains quote symbols.

Could probably develop something based on a user specified delimiter as long as everyone would be comfortable that any delimiters occurring in the files themselves would cause a new record.-berry (January 21, 2012, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Horst Schaeffer's MemPad allows export to a delimited text file in what seems to me a particularly sensible format that's accessible to people with limited scripting skills, without them having to be real programmers.  You can define the delimiter yourself.  I searched my file with BareGrep Pro and found that it did not contain ASCII 135, so that's what I chose.  ASCII 135 looks like hash a hash symbol in some fonts, or a featureless rectangular blob in others.  The output file looks similar to this:

‡ Music

‡‡ Anon.

‡‡‡ Dufay Collective

The Dufay Collective: The Recordings

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00y233j

It is twenty years since the Dufay Collective's influential disc of medieval dance music, [...]

‡‡‡ Pilgrimage to Montserrat

Pilgrimage to Montserrat

Anon — Los set goyts recomptarem

Performer: Hesperion XX
[...]

‡‡ Brahms

‡‡‡ Horn Trio, Op.40

Brahms
Horn Trio, Op.40
William Purvis (horn)
[...]

‡‡ Grieg

‡‡‡ String Quartet No 2 in F

Grieg, compl. Julius Rontgen: String Quartet No 2 in F
Raphael Quartet

The number of delimiters indicates the "level" of the node in question.  It's simple enough even for people like me to reduce them to single instances, or change them to another delimiter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version