ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

NoteFrog Pro (clipboard information manager) - Mini-Review

<< < (9/27) > >>

rjbull:
This search term could be simplified by removing redundant terms, thus:
Was: (paper OR clip OR paperclip) AND (pen OR pencil) NOT (nuggan or nugganite)
Change to: (paper OR clip) AND (pen) NOT (nuggan)

The modified search will filter "paperclip" and "pencil" and "nugganite" in the way you want, by default.-IainB (January 09, 2012, 09:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
In NF's current implementation, that's true.  But... I'm implying that a later version might/should offer exact terms, not just treat every term as a wildcard.

rjbull:
Incorporating an "or" capability in an "as you type" search capability becomes slightly impractical as it requires re-searching all list items once an "or" is incorporated - thus you whittle a list down only to begin again as an "or" is incorporated. You also need to agree on how to escape terms to easily identify the boolean components - e.g. presently, pickle "or" would search for the entire term - pickle "or" -. Interpreting an entire expression and then searching would be possible, but would negate the "search as you type" capability.-berry (January 09, 2012, 09:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
The example of a Boolean search I gave was exactly the kind of search you did in the aforementioned Memory Mate, a DOS program dated 1989.  It gave you a "command line" to do this.  AND, OR, and NOT were all reserved words.  It also had a separate Narrow command to refine your search if you got too many hits.  I see that full Boolean logic would be problematic in a "search as you type" interface, but if you hid the titles list as I mentioned before, and relied on the main searching feature, it would make more sense.  However, that seems to imply that you have to make search terms exact rather than every term a wildcard, and if you need wildcards, deliberately specify them (as * or ?).  It also depends on what sort of application you see NoteFrog becoming...

[Rant]
It becomes difficult determining what has the most value while still keeping the search capability simple and usable for your average, not power, user.-berry (January 09, 2012, 09:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
I was doing Boolean searching back in 1988.  All users had to learn fast or perish.  I find Windows dumbs things down; the average user has become defined as a complete beginner with very little brain or application.
[/Rant]

IainB:
This search term could be simplified by removing redundant terms, thus:
Was: (paper OR clip OR paperclip) AND (pen OR pencil) NOT (nuggan or nugganite)
Change to: (paper OR clip) AND (pen) NOT (nuggan)

The modified search will filter "paperclip" and "pencil" and "nugganite" in the way you want, by default.-IainB (January 09, 2012, 09:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
In NF's current implementation, that's true.  But... I'm implying that a later version might/should offer exact terms, not just treat every term as a wildcard.
-rjbull (January 10, 2012, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I didn't see that exact strings  or "Whole Words Only" were necessarily implicit  in your search, and so I labelled them as redundant search terms. (Normally, they could be redundant.)

That was why I provided the images of the Infoselect boolean search, where you could pick options - for example, exact strings in the form of "Whole Words Only" -  and if you didn't specify that option, then the strings would be looked for by default as whole words AND if embedded in larger strings.
Otherwise, I would suggest that having your search look for "whole words only" by default is likely to be a pain in the proverbial.

Had you specified that (exact or "Whole Words Only") as a default requirement in CHS? If so, then I think I must have missed that. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I would have said something about it.
Do you really want it as a default in NF? (I wouldn't - I'd want it as a defined option, as in InfoSelect. And it would be "nice to have" in CHS.)

IainB:
I find Windows dumbs things down; the average user has become defined as a complete beginner with very little brain or application.
-rjbull (January 10, 2012, 03:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder how that definition could have been arrived at?
Maybe it's just the Lowest Common Denominator approach?

IainB:
@berry: Nothing much to report on the NFß v2 (02).
Only one odd thing so far:
I have NF "frog-croak" sound turned on for clip capture, and it works fine.
However, NF will frequently do a frog-croak when it has not been used for a while, and is not being used - including when keyboard is active or keyboard is idle. It's not capturing anything on these instances - at least, nothing new is appearing in the stack. I wondered, but It doesn't seem to be occurring when the screensaver engages either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version