Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 01, 2014, 09:05:00 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: SOLVED: Taking Screenshot (via PrtScn) & MS Paint  (Read 4307 times)
Nzyme
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 27, 2011, 08:32:21 AM »

I believe most users take screenshots by directly pressing the "PrtScn" button (entire screen) or "Alt + PrtScn" (for the active window). After this, they use the MS Paint program in this sequence:

1. Click on the "Start" logo or press the "Start" button on the keyboard (if available)
2. Type in Paint and click on "Paint" from the results or navigate to All Programs > Accessories > Paint
3. Open Paint and paste the image (Ctrl + V) or by the menu option.

I was wondering if it is possible to eliminate all the above 3 steps so that when the user presses either the "PrtScn" button or "Alt + PrtScn", MS Paint should open automatically with the copied image.
skwire

Another Coding Snack request? Om nom nom...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 08:55:28 AM »

If you're serious about taking screenshots, I'd recommend a dedicated screenshot tool like mouser's own Screenshot Captor.  However, to answer your original request, here's an AutoHotkey snippet that will do the job:

Formatted for Autohotkey with the GeSHI Syntax Highlighter [copy or print]
  1. $PrintScreen::
  2. $!PrintScreen::
  3. {
  4.    If ( A_ThisHotkey = "$PrintScreen" )
  5.    {
  6.        SendInput, {PrintScreen}
  7.    }
  8.    Else If ( A_ThisHotkey = "$!PrintScreen" )
  9.    {
  10.        SendInput, !{PrintScreen}
  11.    }
  12.    ClipWait, 5, 1
  13.    Run, mspaint.exe, , , myPID
  14.    WinWait, % "ahk_pid " . myPID
  15.    WinActivate, % "ahk_pid " . myPID
  16.    WinWaitActive, % "ahk_pid " . myPID
  17.    SendInput, ^v
  18. }

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 09:05:25 AM »

Note that you can ask Screenshot Captor to auto open new screen captures in MS Paint or any other program, assuming the built-in editing tools of the program are insufficient.
Shades

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 09:12:14 AM »

+1 with ScreenshotCaptor from Mouser. Besides that it does by default almost exactly what you ask by default, you can also set it up to name and store each screenshot without any further interaction at all.

Although MSPaint is not opened by default, a different but more functional editor is. This piece of software is really the "icing on the cake" and can stand against any commercially available solution that is available out there.  
kunkel321
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 03:02:54 PM »

Yepper doodle.  ScreenshotCaptor is what you need.
Nzyme
Participant

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 11:46:44 PM »

@skwire: Thanks for providing the script. I am totally new at this (AutoHotkey and stuff). I tried to run the script and got the attached error.

* Error.jpg (27.77 KB, 497x244 - viewed 152 times.)
skwire

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 11:52:49 PM »

Do you have the entire code on one line or something?

Nzyme
Participant

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 09:15:50 AM »

It spans a few lines - 3 to 4 lines I think. (I have copied the code after clicking on "copy or print" link in the code box above and pasted it in Notepad) and then ran the script. Do I have it on the Notepad "just as" it appears in the code box above without the line numbers?
skwire

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 09:18:47 AM »

It needs to be in Notepad just like you see it in the above code box (19 lines).

pspin
Participant

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 10:51:58 PM »

I use Gadwin´s PrintScreen for this kind of matter. It is freeware, and you can put the saves directly into a chosen folder (it autosaves the files).
If you want to edit with MS-paint just make sure that it will become the standard utility when you double-click the saved picture.
http://www.gadwin.com/download/

I think that chosing a standard program for your saved files (starts with a right click over a jpg-file) would do the most of the work. I hope to have been of some support.

EDIT: I just saw mouser screenshot captor, it also is a really cool program. I am in for a try!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:04:22 PM by pspin » Logged
Nzyme
Participant

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 11:08:45 AM »

I just happened to use "FastStone Capture" and I have to say "Awesome!!!". Very light program and does exactly what I wanted. Thmbsup
justabeginner
Honorary Member

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »

As promised at.

http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?topic=30196.0

and another (not as good)

http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?topic=30197.0
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:23:23 PM by justabeginner » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to: