topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Vipre Antivirus to offer lifetime licenses  (Read 11924 times)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Vipre Antivirus to offer lifetime licenses
« on: June 10, 2011, 04:24 AM »
From an email/newsletter I got today:

we are launching the PC lifetime license through June 30. We are doing a pilot/test to see if this is something you would be interested in purchasing. If the PC lifetime licenses does well, we will continue to offer them on our website. There will be an upgrade path for our current customers in the coming weeks, which we will make available via future editions of SSN and personal emails. If you are up for renewal of your current subscriptions you will see the option in our cart for the PC lifetime licenses.

http://vipreantivirus.com/

It looks like the pricing for one PC is $90 for Antivirus (AV + Antispyware) and $110 for Premium (AV + Antispyware + Firewall).
This compares to $30/$40 for a one year subscription.

The pricing for 'household' (3+ PCs) is $130 for Antivirus and $160 for Premium.
This compares to $50/$70 for a one year subscription.

So somewhere in the range of 150% - 200% additional cost going from 1 year to lifetime.

The pricing for renewals apparently isn't ready yet (there's no option for lifetime on my renewal page).

Use discount code "MICROSOFT" for a 20% discount (there are several code on the web if that one doesn't work).  Discount codes also seem to work for renewals.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:33 AM by mwb1100 »

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Vipre Antivirus to offer lifetime licenses
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 04:55 AM »
Nice share

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 02:27 AM »
I just noticed this detail in the Vipre lifetime offer:

The PC Lifetime Licenses are good for the life of your PC; you can also get an unlimited home license that will cover up to 10 PC’s in your home for the lifetime of your PC’s.

So the license is tied to the PC. According to a post on Wilders (http://www.wildersse...147&postcount=17), one transfer is permitted.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 12:40 PM »
So the license is tied to the PC. According to a post on Wilders (http://www.wildersse...147&postcount=17), one transfer is permitted.

If so, to my mind it's useless!

No doubt it's also tied to the length of time the vendor stays with Vipre and doesn't launch a 'new and wonderful' product.

Some lifetime licenses are remarkably good deals but they're in the minority, at least in my experience  :(

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 02:36 PM »
It definitely makes it less attractive.  However, I'm still considering the 'Lifetime' Home license, but it'll take some ciphering on my part before I decide.  I'm hoping I can find a better discount than the 20% one.

Wilders had a 50% discount offer, but it expired at the end of May :(

The lure of Microsoft Security Essentials is pretty strong, and it's running on my wife's and daughter's systems...  But, for some reason I still get the feeling that 3rd parties might do a better job of detecting malware.  Not that I have any actual data to back that up.  If nothing else, 3rd parties seem more focused on the problem (as they should be).

I know next to nothing about dealing with malware - and I want to keep it that way.  I just want something that I can install and trust to keep my system(s) reasonably safe and that doesn't cause as many problems as the malware might. That's why I don't even consider McAfee or Norton anymore - in the past they seemed to be the source of nothing but headaches for me.

Bionic71

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 06:33 PM »
seems vipreantivirus.com are more focused of your money rather than malware.
essentials is gold and who else would stay on top if not microsoft? - think of all os updates and patches.

perhaps malware authors would target essentials harder than others because it is microsoft, i don't know.
but i do know that i'm tired of fishy agreements, broken upgrades, installation limits, drm, 404, renamed programs & tricky attempts of annual subscriptions.
c'mon, i mean folks buy more software than ever before .. what's up with this greediness - lifetime of your pc’s .. potentially that could be a day or a week.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 10:51 PM »
Hi Folks,

perhaps malware authors would target essentials harder than others because it is microsoft,
-Bionic71

Definitely. And I believe a layered multi-vendor approach is the most likely to really catch the bad guys and stop zero-day problems too.

Browser protections, a firewall from a company like Online Armor (now owned by EMSI I think) or even Zone Alarm or another, WinPatrol as the security startup guy, a nimble anti-virus, (Eset, Avast, Avira if they dump Uniblue, etc), Zemana I picked up on a sale, plus the great occasional scan by Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware.   Granted, some will have double-coverage and your HIPS approach can vary widely (note: I don't get involved in that shadow-boxing stuff).

Very little cost in all that, and a nice sense that even if there is one point of failure or directed attack, there is a strong likelihood of full protection because of the layers.

And a reason to just say no to suites.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 10:56 PM by Steven Avery »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 04:55 PM »
it seems they gave up the lifetime concept. Vipre is on offer at the moment, but 3 years is now the longest term. All Vipre products are on a very special $30 off sale, here is a funny example:

1 x VIPRE Internet Security 2012, 1PC, normally listed $50 - now $12

-ehh...??!! Don't ask; the calculation is theirs, not mine!

http://www.vipreanti....com/promos/laplink/

Coupon code: LapLinkSave30

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 05:20 PM »
Vipre really made quite a splash when they first came on the scene with a very good product. Seems the bean-counters and greed-mongers have taken over the reigns of the company from the original idea men.

Personally, I'm glad I jumped on the $50 lifetime license for 3 PCs offer that Agnitum put up a couple years ago for their security suite. In spite of PC upgrades, PC replacements, and routine Windows OS reinstalls my lifetime license code has never ceased to work for me.

The AV component constantly wins awards time after time after time and the firewall component is just scary good. It's one of the few firewalls that can pass all leak tests & you just might be surprised what programs on your PC are trying to connect to the internet...and to whom.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 05:38 PM »
it seems they gave up the lifetime concept.

Not if you're buying from the normal "buy now" link - it looks like the option is only gone from the promo(s).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 02:24 AM »
it seems they gave up the lifetime concept.

Not if you're buying from the normal "buy now" link - it looks like the option is only gone from the promo(s).

-makes sense. I don't think Agnitum is happy with their $50 lifetime keys, as Innuendo is talking about. I have one of those as well, and it is by far the best software deal I have ever made.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 02:17 PM »
-makes sense. I don't think Agnitum is happy with their $50 lifetime keys, as Innuendo is talking about. I have one of those as well, and it is by far the best software deal I have ever made.

Curt, I think you're right. Agnitum has happily put their firewall on sale with lifetime licenses many, many times, but the lifetime license deal for the suite has never returned.