ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

BitTorrent - why bother?

<< < (5/9) > >>

brotherS:
It just so happens that that slow download, however, is faster than no download -- and torrents are often the only thing I can find them in.  So it's slow or nothing :)  Took me over a week to download a 1 gig file.
-allen (March 27, 2006, 05:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
:)

Reminds me of the pre-BitTorrent era, when it once took me a MONTH to download a 500 MB file...  :-[

jgpaiva:
Reminds me of the pre-BitTorrent era, when it once took me a MONTH to download a 500 MB file...  :-[-brotherS (March 27, 2006, 05:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
But i bet you gave much more importance to it than you would if it'd take you 1minute to download :tellme:

Carol Haynes:
It just so happens that that slow download, however, is faster than no download -- and torrents are often the only thing I can find them in.  So it's slow or nothing :)  Took me over a week to download a 1 gig file.
-allen (March 27, 2006, 05:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
:)

Reminds me of the pre-BitTorrent era, when it once took me a MONTH to download a 500 MB file...  :-[
-brotherS (March 27, 2006, 05:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

On GetRight's BT client it eastimated 19 days for me yesterday - and that is using BT and broadband ... not bad eh?

f0dder:
The world of torrents is pretty chaotic. You have to make sure you're "connectable" (ie, if you have a NAT router or firewall, you need to punch holes open for the BT client). Then you also need to make sure you upload at a decent rate to your peers, but not too much or your downstream will die because of upstream traffic.

Then there's the whole business of finding "good" torrents. If you're dealing with legal stuff, that shouldn't be too hard. For shady stuff, you need private trackers otherwise your speed will be abysmal.

uTorrent is certainly the best windows client I've found. It does what needs to be done, no more and no less. No bloat and great speeds. Supposedly it's cache system needs some rewriting to be suitable for 100mbit connections to the internet, but... :)

The torrent technology is great when applied correctly, though. It allows for great speeds, great availability, corruption-checking on the fly (ie., you don't need to do .sfv verification as you often need with FTP), et cetera. Unfortunately some companies are abusing torrents - like blizzard, who don't really have massive enough servers, but depend on their peers. Their tracker for WOW updates is usually swamped after an update is release, and their client SUCKS so much that I used to manually extract the .torrent file from it, and used with uTorrent.

Mark0:
Their tracker for WOW updates is usually swamped after an update is release, and their client SUCKS so much that I used to manually extract the .torrent file from it, and used with uTorrent.-f0dder
--- End quote ---
And ffter that, even the Tracker is no more needed, thanks to DHT! :) What more one could ask? :)
My first "real use" for Torrent was to let some people download the video that a friend of mine have made out of a tour in Japan. To today, it was downloaded over 200 times, and it's about 0.5GB. All without dedicating more than 50KB/s. of upload bandwidth on my server (and usually way less was used / needed).

Bye!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version