ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

BitTorrent - why bother?

<< < (6/9) > >>

f0dder:
Their tracker for WOW updates is usually swamped after an update is release, and their client SUCKS so much that I used to manually extract the .torrent file from it, and used with uTorrent.-f0dder
--- End quote ---
And ffter that, even the Tracker is no more needed, thanks to DHT! :) What more one could ask? :)

Bye!
-Mark0 (March 28, 2006, 07:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

That blizzard actually cared a bit about their customers and not just their customers' money? ;) - I think torrent (or other p2p) techonology is good for things like update distribution, but the company should still deliver decent bandwidth and servers themselves.

moerl:
Thanks for that - I have uninstalled Azureus and tried utorrent. That seems to zip along quite nicely and it is SO much less cluttered & minimalistic. Great.
-Carol Haynes (March 27, 2006, 03:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
It doesn't use Java like Azureus, so it's smaller. But it also mostly just copies the new ideas that show up in Azureus. BT newbies might prefer utorrent, I prefer to have all those options and plugins in/for Azureus.

-brotherS (March 27, 2006, 04:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Agreed. When I first tried uTorrent, I was not impressed. That was some months ago I believe. But I tried it yesterday, and I must say it has turned into an extremely lovable little application. It's got a great set of features, is very consistent, extremely user-friendly and works! It's very easy to set up as well. It's got the most important features from Azureus but is nowhere NEAR as full-featured as the latter. If you're serious about BT, Azureus is more or less the only way to go. I'm a big Azureus fan myself because it's so advanced and powerful, and you can tell the makers put TONS of thinking and effort into the application's making. I have simply come to completely TRUST Azureus in handling my downloads. It seems extremely intelligent in its handling of BT files.. just look at the Azureus Wiki.. you'll find tons of highly technical talk regarding the workings of BT, which for me adds confidence in the makers of Azureus. It just lets you feel like "they know what they're doing, and they know it well". Azureus is a lot heavier than uTorrent as an application, but it's as much more advanced as it is heavier as well :)

I'll stick to uTorrent now and see how well it handles multiple torrents and at what speeds. I may return to Azureus in the end. I like them both, I must say.

f0dder:
I don't really understand why some people are so hyped up about Azureus...

uTorrent downloads fine, supports uPNP, can move both downloads and .torrent files to new folders when done, and even supports ipfilter.dat (in case you think that's going to help you in any way, hah). What more do you need?

I'll stick to uTorrent now and see how well it handles multiple torrents and at what speeds. I may return to Azureus in the end. I like them both, I must say.

--- End quote ---
I've had uTorrent grab files with around 1meg/s from my workplace 10mbit line, and it worked pretty well even though I was on a bit underpowered laptop with a slow hdd.

AbteriX:
Thanks for the question  :) , nice to read thread.  :Thmbsup:

moerl:
I got uTorrent after reading this thread and after a fresh Windows reinstall and have not felt the need to get back to Azureus yet. I do miss Azureus just because it worked damn well for me and I had it set up to perfection, with plugins, network tweaks and all.. but everything I've thrown at uTorrent so far has downloaded just fine, with totally acceptable speeds, so for now I'll stick with uTorrent. Not to mention uTorrent starts in less than two seconds and I can easily continue to use my computer with it running while Azureus would take up to 20+ seconds to start and would take my connection hostage pretty much, if I remember correctly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version