ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

adding tab support to apps that dont have it

<< < (3/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
please, the topic is not about a tabbed text editor, but about a way to group to tabs, windows of an app that does not natively support tabs
-kalos (December 24, 2011, 07:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you don't see anything for download on sites like Softpedia, C-Net, PCMag, then it's likely because it's not really feasible.  Programs that assume they only use one window or form are just structured differently than those written for multiple windows/tabs/forms. Pretty tough to force from outside.

steeladept:
If you can structure entire OS's into tabs using virtualization, I can't imagine it being any more difficult (and quite a bit less) to create a generic tabbing window that you can open individual apps within.  It may not be the most efficient or best way to do it, but it would certainly fulfill the need and is exactly what I think Kalos was after. Windows already enforces the one app per window, so you would just need to add a tab-like extention that can be yet another view just like tile, full screen, or cascade.  Not saying it is easy, but certainly not as hard as you seem to make it out to be either.

MilesAhead:
Right. I wonder how many programmer man hours went into VirtualBox? Anything feasible is likely to be of the nature of the Tabbing utilities already mentioned. It amounts to a fancy cascade, not multiple windows to one process. You can't force a single instance application design on a program from the outside.

Paul Keith:
Not quite tabs but it's slightly more "detailed" than alt+tab.

Tasky

Allows Launchy to search window titles of currently open windows giving users a convenient way to switch between tasks.

http://www.launchy.net/plugins.php

kalos:
so far, I found Window tabifier to do excellent job

but the main drawback is that it does not tabify windows of a specific program automatically, I have to choose the windows and tabify them manually

is there any solution to this?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version